Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cleatusjo's Avatar

Re: About Racing CDIs

With all the 91 octane talk, I'm assuming that it's hard to get Sunoco 93 out west ?

That's all I run is Sun oil co. 93. With 20 or 30 cents more a gallon than 91, why run 91 ? Couple hours of running for another buck ?
    Last edited by Cleatusjo; 04-05-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Tech Guru Resident Guru

Fastcar,
    Advancing the timing (on the 650/750/800) may offer a small advantage in mid-rance acceleration, but it will make the engine more resistant to revving high (to say nothing about increasing deto-risk at higher rpms).

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by fastcar396 View Post
    Hey Harry what about advance plates on kawasaki 750's and 800's, what is the purpose of those. I also remember back in the late 80's we would twist the stator on our 650 limiteds to full advance ... were we crazy for doing that? Thanks for the great write ups
    Unless otherwise stated, responses to all forum posts are based on my personal experiences working within the PWC industry, and developing high performance PWCs since 1987.

www.groupk.com

Tech Guru Resident Guru

Cleatusjo,
    The difference in deto risk between 91 and 93 octane is hair splitting ... octane needs to be 98+ to really offer a meaningful reduction in deto risk over conventional premium pump gas.

Regards, Harry Klemm

Quote Originally Posted by Cleatusjo View Post
    With all the 91 octane talk, I'm assuming that it's hard to get Sunoco 93 out west ?

That's all I run is Sun oil co. 93. With 20 or 30 cents more a gallon than 91, why run 91 ? Couple hours of running for another buck ?
    Unless otherwise stated, responses to all forum posts are based on my personal experiences working within the PWC industry, and developing high performance PWCs since 1987.

www.groupk.com

PWCToday Guru

Thanks for write up Harry. My 800 limited exhibited this behavior with an Advent and 91 octane. I caught it before it melted down but I could see some signs of deto on the piston crowns.

PWCToday Newbie

What about running an msd enhancer at about 5* retard? That would put the advance down closer to a stock 62t curve, there was a good thread about this on the x. Msd vs pro tec mod stock cdi

PWCToday Newbie

Bump for an old thread. I recently tried running an msd enhancer on the 5* retard mark on the stator. Not enough time on the motor to really tell how it's doing, but it starts, idles well and seemed responsive up to about 1/2 throttle (still needs fine tuning). I only ran the ski for about 20minutes on the trailer in water, breaking in a new top end. It's a ported 735, 37cc domes, r&d rev2 pipe, Novi carbs

Top Dog
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax45186 View Post
    Bump for an old thread. I recently tried running an msd enhancer on the 5* retard mark on the stator. Not enough time on the motor to really tell how it's doing, but it starts, idles well and seemed responsive up to about 1/2 throttle (still needs fine tuning). I only ran the ski for about 20minutes on the trailer in water, breaking in a new top end. It's a ported 735, 37cc domes, r&d rev2 pipe, Novi carbs

I think you read that thread wrong. Most people run a 2-3 degree advance at the stator on the theory that the msd retards the timing in the upper rpm range.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday Newbie

No, I meant to pull out timing because it's a race set up that's gonna be held wide open a lot. Ocd solutions put multiple enhancers on his test rig and they showed about 22 degrees advance at 7k rpm. Not good. But i can't prove the timing curve either. I appreciate your concern though. I may end up changing the static timing if I'm not happy with performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax45186 View Post
    No, I meant to pull out timing because it's a race set up that's gonna be held wide open a lot. Ocd solutions put multiple enhancers on his test rig and they showed about 22 degrees advance at 7k rpm. Not good. But i can't prove the timing curve either. I appreciate your concern though. I may end up changing the static timing if I'm not happy with performance.
    . Good move! Let us know how it goes
    62t is about 18 up top. Still too much after about 7400!

PWCToday Newbie

Quick first ride report, it pulls pretty hard in the mid range, I did not notice any detrimental effects of -5 stator timing with the msd enhancer. I am really amazed how much a difference ecwi makes on the r&d pipe, it's night and day. This pump gas Motor hits just as hard or harder in the low/mid than my old race gas/b pipe set up. Just my first impressions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information