Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

97 GTX just died and won't crank over.

Hello all, I have a 97 GTX that I am trying to revive. I got it running the other day with a brand new battery in it. Ran fine around the lake for about an hour. Needed to replace the wear ring. Replaced it, and went to test ride this morning. Ski started fine and got me half way across the lake and just shut off. I was able to restart and it ran about 100 feet and just died. Then would not crank over again. The only warning I have at the time is 12v low. I swam the ski back to shore and brought home. Put meter on battery, and it is 12.16v. Any ideas what might cause this. I know that the battery needs to be sufficiently charged to produce spark, but shouldn't this be high enough? Thoughts?

PWCToday Regular

Re: 97 GTX just died and won't crank over.

Sounds like its not charging the battery

PWCToday Regular

battery at 12.6 is good on voltage. does it crank and not start? if it cranks then you need to run down the usual check list. check compression? have the fuel lines been changed from the grey ones? has the fuel cut off selector been cleaned? is the gas fresh in it? has carbs been cleaned and filters changed?

PWCToday Newbie

Yes, all other issues have been resolved I believe. Carbs redone, all new fuel lines, new coil and plugs. I am pretty sure it is a electrical issue. It just shut off, as if I pulled the lanyard. No sputtering etc. Then would not crank. I just took it off the charger and it fired right off. Was trying to check rectifier, but not sure what to look for. The voltage at the battery with the engine running is still in the 12.5 range. Shouldn't it be around 14 or so?

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by b8man View Post
    Yes, all other issues have been resolved I believe. Carbs redone, all new fuel lines, new coil and plugs. I am pretty sure it is a electrical issue. It just shut off, as if I pulled the lanyard. No sputtering etc. Then would not crank. I just took it off the charger and it fired right off. Was trying to check rectifier, but not sure what to look for. The voltage at the battery with the engine running is still in the 12.5 range. Shouldn't it be around 14 or so?
    yes. when running it should be at least above 13 and with good battery could go over 14 but at least above 13 will let you know it is charging. I am not sure what to check for it not charging though. hopefully someone else will comment a suggestion. is all fuses good? is the ground to engine good? really good?

PWCToday Newbie

I believe it is as good as can be...I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I appreciate all the help so far. I am so frustrated right now, this ski is possessed.lol

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

When the DESS post goes bad they will randomly shut off like that.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kcr357's Avatar

The rectifier is bad
    How many gerbils could a gerbil jammer jam if a gerbil jammer could jam gerbils?

"You build cheater motor's & still get smoked !!!!"
    "Its not your fault. You just don't understand what you're talking about. "

Resident Guru

A good battery will sustain a 12.6 volt level (6 cells x 2.1 volts per cell) with a moderate load applied. To charge a battery (that is, to have the flow of current into it), you have to have higher voltage than 12.6 (or what ever the battery is at when you start). At 12.5, you aren't charging. Your shut-off likely occurred because you dropped below the MPEM low voltage limit. Cars will do the same thing. Its not like the old days. Like kcr said, I'd suspect the rectifier first, as they seem to be a bit tender in some models. Hopefully yours is not built into the MPEM. After that, broken wire from vibration, shorted/wet coil, metal fragments in the coil area. See if you can locate a manual for your boat and do the output test of the three phase coil. If the coils have a balanced output, and you can prove continuity through the wiring, then you're left with the regulator as the culprit.

PWCToday Newbie

Awesome...thx for the info...I have a brand new coil with plugs and wires. I was able to find a video about testing the magneto with an ohms test and that seems ok. Therefore I have ordered a new rectifier. Hopefully this does the trick. Will update once installed. Thx again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information