Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Is this hull repairable?

I was looking at purchasing a Super Jet hull and swapping in a direct injection motor, most likely a 1100 STX DI so I can use it on lake mead, I found a hull pretty cheap but the last owner cut the pump shoe out. I've never done fiberglass work before so I'm not really sure if this is repairable or not. I'm assuming if it is, I would have to use filler foam to recreate the part that was cut out and lay fiberglass ontop of that but my main concern is since this is where the pump shoe was would it be safe to fix this and reinstall the shoe or would the structures integrity be to far gone.
    https://i.imgur.com/LGPlepe.jpg

LGPlepe.jpg

Re: Is this hull repairable?

Whoa.... i mean it is repairable.

But it is going to be alot of work

If i were to do it i would cut open the top of the tray so i could glass and reinforce from the back side. Then while i was at that i would refoam the tray

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Why.......would somebody do that?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Resident Guru

Rear end collision?
    1996 XP All the usual mods
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...17#post4380117

1996 WaveBlaster II 1200 conversion in progress
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=477231

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cleatusjo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a1965gt View Post
    Rear end collision?
    It sure looks like it
    '94 Kaw TS
    '93 Kaw TS
    02' Kaw STX-R

Quote Originally Posted by timmie124 View Post
    I was looking at purchasing a Super Jet hull and swapping in a direct injection motor, most likely a 1100 STX DI so I can use it on lake mead, I found a hull pretty cheap but the last owner cut the pump shoe out. I've never done fiberglass work before so I'm not really sure if this is repairable or not. I'm assuming if it is, I would have to use filler foam to recreate the part that was cut out and lay fiberglass ontop of that but my main concern is since this is where the pump shoe was would it be safe to fix this and reinstall the shoe or would the structures integrity be to far gone.
    https://i.imgur.com/LGPlepe.jpg

LGPlepe.jpg
    This

Yea, it is repairable. But, it will be extremely difficult to obtain the appropriate shape and position for the pump shoe housing. I would get a pump shoe, cover it with painters tape, and lay glass over/around the area of the shoe that is placed/glued into the ski. Basically using the shoe as a mold. Then, assemble the jet pump, lightly adhere the shoe to the pump, and bolt the pump in place. Now you know exactly where the semi-circular piece of fiberglass you have just created (lets call it the "pump shoe mold") will need to be positioned. From there you can use maybe 3 small strips of fiberglass to hold the "pump shoe mold" in position (sort of like doing a tack weld). Then remove your pump assembly and fill in the gaps with a few layers of glass.

I also second the notion of defoaming the ski from the top, then pouring in 2 part foam. I would do all of this after you repair the pump shoe area.

http://www.uscomposites.com/ has everything you need for this. Use cabosil to thicken your resin so it is easy to work with (mayonnaise consistency). Also, USE EPOXY RESIN!! the bottom hull of superjets are epoxy based SMC, not polyester based.
    Last edited by dorny119; 02-28-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Thinks everythng sux =) Top Dog vomitspot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

id keep looking for a hull
    nina hagen daz

Quote Originally Posted by vomitspot View Post
    id keep looking for a hull
    I second this. Just because itís possible doesnít mean itís worth the time and effort. These arenít rare hulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

In your situation since you are doing an engine swap I would cut the engine mount section and the pump section out of the donor hull and glass it into the Superjet, is it a lot of work, yes it is but most funky motor swaps like that are going to be labor intensive.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information