-91 XP
    -91 SP
    -94 SP
    -94 SP (parts ski)

Motors:

-587 white single carb
    -587 yellow twin carb
    -657x

Which engine should I put in what ski? Is there any advantage to the later hull? The 91' hull seems to be about 15lbs lighter than the 94'. I bet the 91' hull would really rip with the 657x.

The 94 hulls have sponsons, the 91 hulls don't. I was thinking I could swap the sponsons from a 94 hull to the the 91 xp along with the 657x motor and electronics...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by NoRdO; 02-27-2018 at 12:54 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Which Hull - 91 XP vs 94 SP

The 94 hull is superior to the older so hulls it's older slightly different than the newer x4 hull and yea the 657x motor is one of those I'm on crack kind of engines pushing 80hp compared to a 580 which I think was like 55 hp you will be happy with it and you need to run all the electronics from a 657x ski to run that engine properly

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

I have a 90 and a 96 X4

I put sponsons on the 90 hull with a ride plate extension. Those two mods made it ride much better. I think the G1 hull is way more fun then my X4 because it's lighter and more nimble. The only weakness is the handle bar neck. It's rather week.

Your G3 hull would be similar to the X4, but it does not have the trim tabs, VTS, or a 720+ motor.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 02-27-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

PWCToday Newbie

I think I'm going to go with the 91' XP hull adding sponsons and the ride plate extension.... Light and nimble is what I'm after... I likely won't be doing much riding in oceans, lakes or bays. I plan to ride this on the upper Potomac river here in MD. When the water is good and high there are tons of awesome rapids and cut-throughs with many skinny and wide parts of the river. Wouldn't mind a 50mph top speed... Is it doable with the 657x & 91 hull? I love the retro look of the 91' XP when compared to the later models...

Quote Originally Posted by NoRdO View Post
    Wouldn't mind a 50mph top speed... Is it doable with the 657x & 91 hull? ..
    I don't think that's enough HP. Upper 40s is about right.
    Just remember, that G1 hull is a lot thinner.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 02-28-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550

PWCToday Newbie

When you say thinner, do you mean the thickness of the fiberglass?

Motor is also bored .040 over which I would hope might add 1hp. It will be a fresh motor when I'm done rebuilding it... I will be rebuilding the pump as well.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I Performed a thorough maintenance on a couple of 657x powered SPX machines a few years ago. They were both bone stock and would just tap 50mph GPS on smooth water. I think with some port cleanup, and pump tweaking the 91sp will do a solid 50.
    Last edited by Myself; 02-28-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Quote Originally Posted by NoRdO View Post
    When you say thinner, do you mean the thickness of the fiberglass?
    yes.. go look. the G3 hull is a little more stout. I have stress cracks by my seat and put in more glass to help out. Also, like I said, the strength around the handlebar was beefed up in the next gen hull (G3). If you ain't worried about hitting rocks, getting thrown around and needing to hang on the the bars, or you're 150 lbs.. you should be fine.

tiny bit of info
    G1= SP, SPi, XP, SPX 88-93
    G2= 93-95 GT(s)
    G3= SP, SPX, SP 93-97
    X4= XP, SPX, SP 95-99

http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html
    Last edited by jerrspud; 02-28-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

Thread Information