Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Bypass Starter Button - 1995 GTX

Hey all, I've been searching the local craigslist for a 90s Seadoo to complement my 550 so I can bring people along with me to the lake. I stumbled across a very clean, one owner, all records, etc. 1995 GTX with a trailer I'll be able to rig my 550 to for what seems like a decent price in my area. The only kicker is the guy says the starter button went out. He said I'm welcome to bypass the starter button and hotwire it to fire it up before I buy it.

So here's my question... how easy is it to get the starter to crank on these? Am I looking at just pulling the starter button off and crossing some wires or are the electronics already too complicated by 1995 that I'm SOL and don't want to bother with this ski?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: Bypass Starter Button - 1995 GTX

The starter button wires hang down under the handlebars. Just pull the storage bin and reach in there, there is a connector you could jump.

Now, if its the solenoid, youll have to finangle the whole electrical box out from the left of the gas tank and open it up.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

If you're wanting to just get the engine to turn over to check compression, get a push button remote starter switch like pictured.
    Clamp one end to the positive side of the battery, the other to the positive terminal on the starter. Push button, test.
    e9e4574cc20c82a75d2ba5ac376b167a.jpg

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the help. I got there and the starter button ended up working fine. Cranked no problem, even 150 psi compression but no spark. Does that have the potential to be an easy fix or should I just steer clear? The guy's asking $1200 for it with a decently nice trailer. I'm definitely not willing to pay that for a non-running ski

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

No spark could be any number of things. I sold a minty clean freshly tuned up older GTS with touring seat and oem cover last year for $1400. I can already tell you it will need fuel system rehab and a wear ring. I would say offer a grand or less to leave room for buying parts. I might have electricals for that thing here.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

I sell these skis refurbished with a trailer for around $1300. I completely agree with Myself you should be getting (especially at this time of the year) for less than $1000. With no spark I would be $300-$400 lower.

1995 GTX is a great ski. Parts should be easy to find still.

They made roughly the same package(minus gauges) in the GTS with the 717 for about 4 years (1996-2000). To me that is a more desirable ski that you should be able to get for roughly the same price. I think Seadoo made more 717 motors than any other 2 stroke by far.
    Last edited by hafweigthr; 02-27-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Thread Information