Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Need info on Charging coil 90 650sx

20180225_234044.jpg
    Book does not mention it at all. Kinda shows it one way on one diagram and another way on another diagram. THIS is the question. The charging coil under the flywheel mounted on the stator has 3 wires. two hots and one ground. IS that ground wire supposed to be GROUNDED? I'm not getting a good ground on it when I ohm it to the neg batt post or to engine block.. I get like 654kohms. Now here's the deal, the charging system kinda works, it's weak. Puts out only 13.2vdc whereas my 800sxr puts out 14.2vdc. Also, this coil/stator assy was installed by my buddy (he had the ski in his care and changed it for whatever reason) last year and shortly after, I had a cdi go out. A cdi that had worked for about 10 years. I ordered another cdi, the same model a WSM item 004-208. That cdi worked great when I installed it on 6/17 - till close of riding season about 10-17. Here we are 2/26/17 and I got no spark again. Everything checks out except the cdi again. CDI reads high resistance between the plugs on the secondary windings again.....same as last time. About 5.28kohms, book calls for 2.1-3.1kohms and I'm certain I checked the new one when it came in and that's about where it was. SO something on my ski is eating CDI's. The ski has been bullet proof for 15 years before it got the new stator put on so that's why I suspect the stator is the root cause. That's the only thing that has changed recently. And yes, I did check the exciter coil, it seems ok. It is grounded to the block and the resistance is up to spec as per the book at 328ohms. Also I get 30vac on the exciter wire when cranking. So again that coil seems ok. What do ya think fellas? WSM cdi's not up to snuff? I did email them asking about a warranty but I doubt it......I'll see what they say.
    Last edited by doubled; 02-26-2018 at 02:57 AM.
    A bad day skiing is ALWAYS better than a good day of work! I've had plenty bad days.

03' 800sx-r port matching on aft carb intake mani, electric bilge, tinytach, boat launch mishap induced hull chine modifications....lol.

650sx
    44mm mikuni w/vortex f/a, solas peller, ocean pro rideplate & grate, electric auto bilge w/overboard discharge
    and lots of corrosion!

1100zxi
    pretty much stock cept for the electric bilge and now a r&d scoop grate.

and a 14ft shuttlecraft

Re: Need info on Charging coil 90 650sx

I've seen the "chink e chank" WSM cdi's go out in two rides ,is yours yellow in color ? Use OE mitsubishi cdis only , the sub boxes have a weak ground , that's the black wire on your stator , 20 gauge , not enough , make a 10 gauge or larger jumper lead , connect to engine and then to sub box plate to insure proper ground for everything on that sub box , charge system is OK , early systems are a trickle charge compared to your SXR , 550s are even weaker , but 13.2 means it's workin . Now check for drains , disconnect ground cable from battery , get a test light , connect alligator clip to lug on cable , touch point of test light to battery negative , if a light appears you have a drain , stator , voltage reg , etc. , if no lite good to go. If more people did that simple test when electrical repairs are completed there would be no burn outs of electrical parts , could be fixed before the smoke starts . I also have a good stock 650 CDI for ya if you want

Thanks for the reply Bionic. That's good info. Yeah, I was kinda suspecting the wsm boxes were possibly made in china with cheaper parts than they used to be when originally manufactured. My box is a darker blue plastic than the one that came out that was also of the same brand, which was more of a baby blue like shown in the picture on the websiteblue cdi.jpg

But i suspected a different manufacturer with the darker blue on the new one.

Can you confirm my secondary coil readings? 5.28kohm is def bad right?

I think the 10ga ground is a good idea I'll add one to be safe. Also do ya think the ground on the charge coil should also be spliced to the other grounds in the ebox? Seems to me it should be grounded also, I'm gonna see if if it's grounded on my buddies 650 when I go visit today.

This ski never used to be a problem but it also used to get a lot more love. Now it's just a buddy ski and my 800 is what I ride most.
    A bad day skiing is ALWAYS better than a good day of work! I've had plenty bad days.

03' 800sx-r port matching on aft carb intake mani, electric bilge, tinytach, boat launch mishap induced hull chine modifications....lol.

650sx
    44mm mikuni w/vortex f/a, solas peller, ocean pro rideplate & grate, electric auto bilge w/overboard discharge
    and lots of corrosion!

1100zxi

and a 14ft shuttlecraft

Update, I've received emails directly from WSM where I purchased the cdi and they say the supplier has not changed when I asked why the two units did not match in color. Also they are sending me a replacement as I initially inquired about a warranty. So, some good news.

650sx
    and lots of corrosion!

1100zxi

and a 14ft shuttlecraft

And you suck...should update this thread...

Lol, ok, This is my final update. The charging coil must be isolated from ground. All three wires should have no continuity to motor ground or ebox ground at all. Also, that wsm cdi, the new one came in the mail free as a warranty exchange, it read 5.2kohms between the spark plugs right out of the box. So with seeing that, and a vote of NO CONFIDENCE, I threw it in the spare parts bin and didn't even bother. I could give a **** if it works or not. The book says 2.1 to 3.1kohms on the secondary coil not 5.what ever kohms. So my buddy Spears let me install one of his many OEM With the Mitsubisi symbol CDI's that had a good reading, and now she's running again. So there's ya up date Tom!

650sx
    and lots of corrosion!

1100zxi

and a 14ft shuttlecraft

Thread Information