Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JS550 full rebuild

So I decided to do a full restoration on my 86' JS550pp this winter. Everything was redone, all the way to sanding the hull and repainting it. New short block from SBT, stator restored from JetSkiSolutions. Odyssey Extreme Battery, Full Pump and driveline rebuild, Solas impellar. Ebox rebuilt, all new wires and connections. I'm installing a primer kit for the fuel. I advanced the timing as well and did a rebuild kit on the bn38mm...
    Before I continue I want to say my full time job is a mechanic, but I'am not god and do not know everything.
    After all the hard work, i went to start it for the first time and she wouldnt start and idle. Even compression at 130psi. Good Spark with the tester. All fuel lines good and carb is pulling fuel through the filter. It will fire for a second with Starter Fluid(and yes it had upper cyclinder lubricant, special stuff I have at work). So I know it is an issue with the carb.
    These carbs are the most pain in the butt than any other carb ive ever dealt with.
    After another inspection of the carb I have found that the low speed adjuster is ever so slightly mushroomed at the tip. Do you guys believe this would be my issue? I already have one ordered and will be here in a couple days.
    I'am considering buying a bn44 and putting that on there if that will solve my problem. Will I need anything more than just a new intake manifold? Carb height spacer for the cable mount? Will my JS550 throttle cable work with the bn44 throttle linkage if I just switch the linkage? Or can I modify it in some way? The throttle cable is brand new so I'm not buying another one.

Thanks! I will post pics of my rebuild tomorrow when I get photos put on the computer.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: JS550 full rebuild

You would need intake and spacer to mount the SBN. The old BN38 works fine when it's tuned properly. I'd like for you to disconnect and pull out your fuel pickup assembly. Using a piece of hose, submerge the pickup in water with finger plugging the pickup side. Blow through the hose and check for bubbles near the tops of the pickup tubes. I've found several sucking air. They will never tune out like this.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

it still has the whole reserve/on assembly and lines original, so that could be an issue. I ruled it out because it was pulling fuel to the filter and carb inlet. It would be easier to just fully disconnect that assembly and run new poly from the reserve line in the tank, straight to the filter/carb inlet. That would eliminate that issue and also give me a spot to add the fuel primer without deleting the choke. What do you think?

Also, I would be mounting a bn44 round body...not a sbn

Ok, bn44 wont need an intake spacer, just the bigger intake. Removing all that wont eliminate the problem I'm talking about. I'm talking about the part screwed into the top of the fuel tank that the fuel lines hook to. That pickup assembly has plastic tubes that reach down into the tank. They can crack or start sucking air right up top. You need to take it out and check it. Also do you still have the rev limiter hooked up?

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

ah ok. Thanks. I will do that tomorrow no problem and check. And yes I still have the rev limiter hooked up.

Unhook the wires for the rev limiter. They are also known sometimes for causing issues.

By the way.......ski looks great!
    Last edited by Myself; 02-23-2018 at 08:27 AM.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Thanks. Rev limiter lines disconnected and I checked for air leaks in the pickup assembly. They are all good. Pretty sure my problem is the carb main jet plugged

Are you sure you have the fuel lines hooked up correctly?

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information