Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JS550 Impeller Removal?

So I am trying to get my impeller off my '85 js550 pump. I have the splined tool and my prop is stock so it has the hex nut on the nose of it.
    I cannot figure out how to get the impeller off. I searched and searched but can't seem to find any videos or forum posts that are helpful.
    Does the splined tool get held in a vise while you wrench the impeller off? I've tried multiple ways of trying to get this thing off and I have had no luck. I have tried heating it up and putting some force to it, so I'm wondering if I am not doing it the right way. (Btw I know its right hand threads.)
    Thanks
    '85 JS550/750: ~Small pin/dual carb~ (Completed 6-7-18)
    '91 300SX

Frequent Poster

Re: JS550 Impeller Removal?

Tried a 2 foot breaker bar on the spline tool and 2 foot pipe over wrench on the prop 'nut'? And then more leverage if needed.

I tried a breaker bar and a wrench with a pipe over it after heating it. No luck.
    I've honestly never had a problem with heat not getting a "bolt" unstuck.
    I'm wondering if theres a safe way to make cut in the prop to help get it off. I don't need the prop since I have a new one to go on.
    '91 300SX

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

It's left hand thread.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

good luck getting it off now. when you go to put the new one on you dont need to tighten it very tight. just did this last week.

I dream skis
    Blog Entries

Left-hand thread +1
    Carefully cut it off or drill relief holes until it weakens the impeller.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

ive had better luck removing the wear ring from the pump, then bolting the spline section back in the ski with the driveshaft in place. using a good pipe wrench to hold the driveshaft then using a long wrench on the impeller. if need be, add some heat but plan on replacing the pump seals. youll hold the drive shaft from turning clockwise then turn the impeller clockwise to loosen it. the JS550 pumps are left handed threads while the 440 and 550sx are right handed threads. ive been able to get better leverage on the pump with it bolted in the ski than with the tool on a vice.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Yes, I meant reverse thread that was a typo
    '91 300SX

Also as an update, I welded some stock on each side of the splined tool to get a good clamp on it in a vise. I then clamped the splined tool in the vise and put a wrench with a cheater pipe on the prop, heated the prop up, and still had no luck. I even tried hitting the big wrench I had on the prop with the cheater pipe and it didn't budge. Looks like I'm going to try the driveshaft idea as posted above, or try cutting a slice in the sides of the prop to peel it off. It's coming off one way or another, but I have a bad feeling I am going to end up buying another pump ....
    I would love to use my 750 pump with the swap I have going on, but I want the thing running this summer. I know rhaas has a kit but thats a bit pricey for this ski.... Anyways hopefully I'll have some luck getting this one off
    '91 300SX

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

try with a vice heating it up and immediately hitting the impeller blades with a big hammer. youll ruin the impeller that way but if its the stock aluminum impeller then youll want to replace it anyway. only get a skat trak stainless impeller.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information