Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

R12X code 2 and now...

Hi everyone, Iíve read a ton of posts here already and tried a whole bunch of fixes and none of the problems quite match whatís been happening to my ski.

So...

brought the ski a month ago knowing there was a potential issue but as Iím ok with a bit of mechanical work I thought I could work my way through having seen all the advice on here.

The ski idled really rough and ultimately stalled on trailer revived full range and in water max 3000, I changed plugs oil and fuel. Got code 2 show up (Map sensor) I changed map sensor and code went away and the ski revved freely up to 6000+ rpm. Went for test on water ski wonít go past 3000rpm, read that this could be turbo stuck, had a look at turbo gave it a clean and lubricated it up, it spins but only while applying my finger it wonít spin freely. Left the hose off and started ski videoed turbo and watched it spin as I squeezed throttle. i checked waste gate for movement and itís stiff but does move with some pressure. Took ski out onto water again and initially it pulled away and revved to 4000 I was elated for all of the 2 seconds before it died on me and started bouncing off the revs. Got a code 1 show up but checked map sensor (unplugged and plugged back in and thatís gone away?) ski will rev under 3000 no issue and idle fine now, however, when I pull throttle it bounces off the 3000 almost like a redline/limiter and it does this on the trailer as well? Any ideas/fixes?

ive looked at the exhaust manifold and externally itís in A1 condition it has been replaced already for the dull grey one just in case that matters.

cheers in advance.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: R12X code 2 and now...

Update/extra info... no water in oil and removed plugs were black with no rust or signs of moisture.

PWCToday Newbie

Jeez don’t all shout at once?!

PWCToday Newbie

Great forum guys thanks for literally zero help on this... glad I took the risk on a Honda banking on the community to help out !

When you run this on the trailer rev it just a little and then shut it off do you hear the turbo spin down slowly after the motor quits? if it stops quickly your turbo is probably shot. Another thing you can do is try and tell if there's any play at all in that Turbo shaft. You can put your finger on the fins near the air cleaner hose right there and see if you got any wobble at all if you do its shot. When my Turbo went bad it went from going 60 miles an hour to about 20 miles an hour but out of the water it would still rev up. Now if your turbo is bad you got to figure out why? if it was oil starved and you just put another turbo on then you'll probably burn it up too. To be sure, when you pump out all the oil, pull the turbo bottom oil line off that connects right below the fill plug on the back of the motor you'll have to tilt your ski trailer all the way down to keep oil from running everywhere put a pan underneath there when you pull that banjo bolt out of that line at the motor there is a little screen in the end of that bolt, don't lose the crush washers, get a flashlight and look at the screen and see if it's clogged if it is your turbo is not getting any oil. Another test is just pull the turbo off leaving all of your oil in the ski, put a container under the oil lines from the bottom of turbo start the ski for a few seconds and see if oil pumps out into the container. It should come out of the oil line that attaches to the bottom of the turbo. Just to be sure make sure your engine has the proper amount of oil in it before you do this start test. To check your oil properly level your ski perfectly level let it set for a while then take your dipstick out of the front of the engine pull that plug in the back of the engine stick the dipstick in there and make sure it's between the lines on the dipstick.
    Last edited by banjomaniac; 03-02-2018 at 01:19 PM.

If the turbo sounds like a mini jet engine spinning down when you kill the engine then something else is wrong, other simple things, make sure your wastegate isn't stuck, check your wastegate solenoid.
    Last edited by banjomaniac; 03-02-2018 at 01:38 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the input banjo... turbos the issue it spins while under throttle then immediately stops. I’ll pull it off over weekend to check on the oil issue, I’m now thinking when the exhaust manifold was replaced due to corrosion some of the salt water would have made it to the turbo and as such corroded the turbo and caused the issue maybe? I’ll look at replacing the turbo, does anyone know a good place to get one and is it worth/possible to upgrade at this point?

Here is a pic of the screen on the oil line leading to my turbo after it failed...

2017-07-23 12.42.21.jpg

If your wastegate is good and free then just buy the turbo, they were running about $450 brand new last year but several resources carry them online.

PWCToday Newbie

Hi all,
    Thought I’d give you an update... so I’ve now received turbo from jetski one and it’s great, I fitted the turbo and old one was definitely shot! No oil starvation but a fair bit of corrosion . Now I’ve just fired the ski up to test and I am still getting the fi code 2? The ski is running a lot better and isn’t cutting out at all and idle is pretty smooth around the 1000rpm mark so... what is wrong with it now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information