• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ktm640duke
    I dream skis
    • Nov 2009

Re: carbonfiber x2 build

Originally posted by blasterdude View Post
    Sounds like it will be a beast when done! Looking forward to more updates.
    Hey blasterdude, we have not gotten to the beast part yet but trust me it will be a beast. Lets see if we can make the pics work tonight.

When your doing something like this there is a lot of time waiting on epoxy to dry so I moved to the front. wanted to round the noes a little. was not a fan of the square corners.

also started the front fill. decided to fill it for now. If I want to do like a blaster fill I will just make a plug and clay it in the mold. That way we can have it either way with the same mold.

Comment

• ktm640duke
      I dream skis
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by blasterdude View Post
      Sounds like it will be a beast when done! Looking forward to more updates.
      Hey blasterdude, we have not gotten to the beast part yet but trust me it will be a beast. Lets see if we can make the pics work tonight.

When your doing something like this there is a lot of time waiting on epoxy to dry so I moved to the front. wanted to round the noes a little. was not a fan of the square corners.

also started the front fill. decided to fill it for now. If I want to do like a blaster fill I will just make a plug and clay it in the mold. That way we can have it either way with the same mold.

Comment

• ktm640duke
        I dream skis
        • Nov 2009

Got the holes under the seat filled and the back of the ski is starting to look respectable. you will see later why I did the seat area like I did.

To be able to use it for a plug I had to fill the engine compartment also.

starting to shape up a little. just set the stock seat on so you can see the difference in length.

Comment

• ktm640duke
          I dream skis
          • Nov 2009

OK, did not want to do this but here is a pic with me in it. Now everybody will know what i look like. You can see in this one the top of seat area has been shaved also. really not ready for primer but I just needed to see how it looked.

I like it.

Bad news, wife said its time to walk the dogs. got to keep her happy or build like this will never happen.

Comment

• ktm640duke
            I dream skis
            • Nov 2009

OK, here we go. Top deck is done ready to make the mold.

When it is in primer I like to do the final sanding then wet it down just to make sure everything looks like it should.

looks good to me.

Comment

• SmittySX
              PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
              • Nov 2008

I thought tem sold all the SF molds and wasnt making any hulls anymore..?
              Im addicted...

Comment

• ktm640duke
                I dream skis
                • Nov 2009

Trust me when i say it took a lot of work just to get to this point. This is the plug all finished and ready to do the mold. I was a happy man when I was finaly able to take these pics.

Comment

• ktm640duke
                  I dream skis
                  • Nov 2009

Now the process begins. Started out with 4 or 5 coats of mold release wax. 5 or 6 coats of pva to make sure nothing can bond to the plug. 1 coat of tooling gelcoat then start glassing.

And more glassing.

And more glassing

And more glassing.

Also built the frame and glassed that in to stiffen it up.

Comment

• Riverrat650sx
                    Frequent Poster
                    • Jan 2011

Bad ***! I wish I had the money, time, space to do this. Great work man!

Comment

• ktm640duke
                      I dream skis
                      • Nov 2009

OK, this is where my build thread takes a turn for the worst. Just another day, went to work like always. Working like 50 feet from my truck and some piece of sh!t has the balls to break into it. Stole some tools and stuff, phone with pics included. Pics were only backed up to this point. The worst part after loosing them I did not even take any more for a while. Had a lot of the same process to do the bottom deck but not much to show for it. I will start on that next time.

Comment

• ktm640duke
                        I dream skis
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by spitz15 View Post
                        I thought tem sold all the SF molds and wasnt making any hulls anymore..?
                        Tem is not as involved as he used to be but the hulls are still being made. The glass hulls are done down south and the carbon ones are done by billybo who works with tem on a daily basis.

Comment

• blasterdude
                          Resident Guru
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by ktm640duke View Post
                          OK, this is where my build thread takes a turn for the worst. Just another day, went to work like always. Working like 50 feet from my truck and some piece of sh!t has the balls to break into it. Stole some tools and stuff, phone with pics included. Pics were only backed up to this point. The worst part after loosing them I did not even take any more for a while. Had a lot of the same process to do the bottom deck but not much to show for it. I will start on that next time.
                          Scumbag thieves! Hopefully karma will catch up with him sooner rather than later.

Comment

• ktm640duke
                            I dream skis
                            • Nov 2009

Getting a late start tonight. The good news is I did get some work done on the x2 tonight. Kinda off topic but i also had to finish up a set of sponsons before I could work on the ski. Should be some good racing this year, Been sending a bunch of these out.

OK back to work. top deck mold is done so now I need to make a part before I can stsrt to work on the bottom deck

This is mold prepped, sprayed with gelcoat.

Glass is in, bagged, vacuum pulled ready to infuse.

Comment

• ktm640duke
                              I dream skis
                              • Nov 2009

Like I said earlier, the pics are not as plentiful at this point. Not the first one out but this is what it looks like. Also these are just glass for fitting to keep cost down.

Comment

• ktm640duke
                                I dream skis
                                • Nov 2009

Now that I have a top deck to work with I need to make it work on the bottom deck. If you look at the x2 in the back on the stand you can see where I had to hack up the superfreak. I added about 2" of rocker to the front to get them to match up, about .5" in the back. Also the freak does not have the bow eye. Had to add that to keep that stock look alive. Bottom line is that I cut the carbon bottom deck up so much that I can not even use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X