Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

F12X Exhaust Manifold Question

Hi all, Iím new to Hondas and am working on a 2005 F12X restoration. This was a fairly inexpensive non-running pick up late last year, and it is my winter project. Lots of salt corrosion issues. Iím de-crusting it now, and have what looks like a rotted out exhaust manifold. Iím planning on purchasing from Brian at JSI either a new Honda manifold, or preferably his new and improved one thatís coming out this spring.

Anyway, hereís what Iím here for. Iím thinking of welding up a blowout patch or two on the old manifold just to try to get the thing running, just to see if I bought a parts machine or if itís worth putting more money into. However, tonight, I found what looks like salt water corrosion streams out of the exit of the manifold. See picture. Does this mean I have an internal leak of the manifold? And if so, Iím probably out of luck with patching this thing up, even for testing purposes, right?

C52C0E06-7A61-4F53-8882-E2280577659B.jpeg

Like I said, Iím new to Hondas, maybe I donít quite have the cooling water flow path quite figured out. Can yíall school me on if water should be there please?

By the way, there was no water in the oil, so my junky crusty manifold at least had that going for it, lol.

Thanks,
    Kevin

PWCToday Newbie

Re: F12X Exhaust Manifold Question

Think I’m gonna answer my own question. Looks like from the diagram that there ain’t supposed to be water there. So I’ll bet that manifold is not even suitable to be welded up. Guess I can JB Weld up the holes on the outside, hook the manifold to the hose and see for sure?

Looks like I get to call Mr. Brian sooner than later for a new manifold...

95170DB7-3768-4EF5-BA69-ECBAEF67485A.png

Brian can give you good advice on what else to check, make sure you check the screen filter in the turbo oil feed line or you'll be replacing the turbo next. If it was leaking water into the exhaust and then sat, wastegate might be stuck too?

PWCToday Newbie

Yeah, Iím not gonna mess with the junk manifold/doorstop I have. Just gonna get a new one from Brian. I have checked/cleaned that screen you mentioned, as well as freed up the wastegate. Wastegate wasnít stuck, but was getting slightly tight. Got it nice and free moving now.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Last edited by Lightningtruck; 03-03-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: I canít spell

Salt away or salt Terminator on the hose can help keep it from happening again. And lots of CRC to keep everything from corroding!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There were some tests followed by teardowns on Scream and Fly that found white cleaning vinegar worked better than the salt away at 10% of the cost.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Haven't seen anything about vinegar, a jug of Salt Terminator will last a LONG time. I guess just be diligent about cleaning it and maintaining it.

PWCToday Newbie

Yeah, I'm gonna be absolutely certain to flush, treat, clean, whatever to keep that new $$$ manifold (among other things) from turning into swiss cheese...

Thanks,
    Kevin

Thread Information