Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Re: Pro mechanics only, need opinions

still no winner
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

1698 views , and not one """pro mechanic """ has even closely indicated to the OP as to the cause of this melt down.although lots of guessing and collaboration from the follower EXSPURT~s.

in saying that ;
    there are too many people on this forum these days that have no idea and either just tag along with the few that do(you know who you are) ;OR attempt Google searches to accumulate information and copy post the wrong information ,OR tag along bagging out the people that have hands on experience with issues such as this.

FWIW there is a very simple explanation as to why the side of 2 pistons have been eaten by hot gasses and one that is on its way to the same fate.it is a common issue that relates to triple cylinder 2 smokes,mostly common to the 900 and in some cases 1100 , very common on STX-R and Ultra 150 , also quite common on old big bore 2 smoke dirt bikes.
    ... and that is all the hints i am giving ""NOW its up to our resident EXSPURTS to Google too try to FIGURE IT OUT'.

, i am not a pro mechanic so i cant comment in this thread ...

forum has turned to shyt !!!!!!, lips have moved and i have said what needs to be said!
    Last edited by hyosung; 02-06-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Well, these days i consider anybody who wrenches and actually fixes things, an expert.

Hyosung, Ill take any more info you can give. PM me if u want.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

OK, so right now I guess we're looking at possible running lean due to bad front crank seal....haven't pulled flywheel yet.
    Detonation possibly from some sort of ignition issue or overpropping.
    Excessive clearance and piston slapping.
    Possible running hot on #1 from seal or gasket.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

87 <> br 7
    Last edited by orangefinger; 02-06-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    KELLYHIEKE.ROCKS NEW WEBSITE CHECK IT OUT - FEMALE AMATEUR FREESTYLE

HURRICANE ECLIPSE TPE 900CC P&P Performance

94 Blaster "KAW 1100cc"

650 SC

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hyosung, get a grip, there is no easy answer, and the only person that has a
    clear view of the problem is MYSELF.

If there is a problem with this forum, it is how people want just one simple answer
    so they can do the least possible amount of work.

Quote Originally Posted by hyosung View Post
    1698 views , and not one """pro mechanic """ has even closely indicated to the OP as to the cause of this melt down.
    The melt down is easy. The first time it seized is not!

For example: It has not been my experience that an air leak (vacuum or pressure)
    is a not simple solution for a seizure on stock or lightly modified skis.
    I used to test
    Kawasaki main seals on nearly daily basis. The majority were tested while the skis were
    still on the trailer, and in front of the customer while the invoice was written.

I found main seals leaking small to moderate amounts of vacuum, large vacuum leaks,
    main seals that the springs had fell off and were leaking pressure, vacuum leaks on
    the reed gaskets, intake manifolds, etc. The majority of these skis were still running,
    but they had carb tuning problems. The others were hard starting.

When these problems were uncovered while writing up a work order, we refused to do a
    tune and service on these ski's. Then we would write the customer up for work that would
    actually fix the problem.

Too many shops (back then) would just write work orders for a tune and service, and then
    have to deal with angry customers after they returned from their vacation because the
    tune and service didn't help their ski (Then they would tell all their friends about so n so,
    and how they ruined their entire trip! Even if they were full of ****).

Quote Originally Posted by mcn6 View Post
    Just based upon the three low res pics, I would guess that there was an air leak and/or water ingestion on #1 from a blown head gasket and
    some type of oiling or a water ingestion issue through the carbs on all three cylinders??

mcn6 is on the right track
    , that is why a picture of the #1 intake side of the piston is
    important.

The first time it seized is most likely a result of combination of factors including an
    air leak, or water ingestion.

The ring failure on #3 is not important!

Look at what we do know:

There is no blown head gasket. A common cause for a blown head gasket is detonation.
    Head gaskets do not blow from normal operation unless there is a cause, like a dirty
    gasket surface, a warped gasket surface, or a previous water starved cooling system
    that overheated the engine and many of the head or exhaust manifold hardware has
    come loose (common on engines that use composite gaskets).

There is no obvious source for water ingestion, even though the front piston appears
    to have suffered from water ingestion.

On the SBT engine, there were multiple cylinder failures that don't seem to have anything
    in common.

The engine has blown up twice, but they were two different engines, and two different
    types of failures. Because we are not the owner, we are not privy to all the common
    details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    All of the 900/1100s that I repair , and I've fixed a bunch , all come in with similar issues , usually the rear hole tho,
    always have cylinder base gasket leaks on exhaust side for the air leak and the rear carb fuel pump is kaput
    Bionic racing has suggested that a combination of problems may have caused the first
    engine failure, and Myself confirmed there was previously carb related problems.

The 2nd engine had less compression than stock and very likely used the composite
    base gasket as a fix for the air leak problem Bionic racing mentioned.

SBT top end was set-up sloppy loose.

The customer used 40:1 premix. No oil pump to fail.

Myself power tuned the ski, and set the screw settings on the rich side.

Poor details from the customer (that is hoping for a result that takes less money out of his or her pocket).

Recap:
    1). No blown head gasket
    2). Adequate oil supply.
    3). Failure appears to have a combination of factors, including customer abuse.
    4). No obvious source for water ingestion
    5). Multiple engine failures on two separate engines in the same hull.
    6). The SBT engine is sleeved
    7). Condition of the crank case is unknown.
    8). Reduced chances of an air leak on the base gasket. But if there was any wet base gasket surfaces
    during disassembly is an indication that a leak existed.
    9). Less compression than stock, on an engine that already had low compression.
    10). Piston to cylinder clearance was set-up sloppy loose, and it still seized.
    11). Spark plugs appear fouled.
    12). Good carbon build up on piston crowns.
    13). Customers story is not supported by the pictures.

Conclusion: This ski requires more time, work, and money to uncover the original problem
    and prevent a future engine failure.

Bill M.

Check the ring end gaps of the #2 piston rings in all cylinders.
    Last edited by wmazz; 02-07-2018 at 05:48 AM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Bill, thanks for your very thorough analysis. And thanks everybody else too! What I was really trying to do here was get all the info I could to make an educated decision on how to proceed with this. Unfortunately for the customer it is out of warranty and Even though we all see some shoddy build work here with loose clearances and barely any port chamfering and sealant gooped everywhere, I cant for certain point a finger and say it's 100% the builders fault. So, at this point, on a not so minty 97 model, Im going to suggest to the customer they part out and buy a different machine. I just dont see sticking money into this thing to build it right.

Again, thanks everyone for looking!

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

Thanks a lot for that one hyodung! I actually feel stupider after reading your "brain dump" (quoted below in case anybody missed it...). Right now I am not sure if you are a 6 year old child or a 600 lb. woman??? In fact, I really can't tell if you are even a primate at this point!

1698 views , and not one """pro mechanic """ has even closely indicated to the OP as to the cause of this melt down.although lots of guessing and collaboration from the follower EXSPURT~s.

in saying that ;
    there are too many people on this forum these days that have no idea and either just tag along with the few that do(you know who you are) ;OR attempt Google searches to accumulate information and copy post the wrong information ,OR tag along bagging out the people that have hands on experience with issues such as this.

FWIW there is a very simple explanation as to why the side of 2 pistons have been eaten by hot gasses and one that is on its way to the same fate.it is a common issue that relates to triple cylinder 2 smokes,mostly common to the 900 and in some cases 1100 , very common on STX-R and Ultra 150 , also quite common on old big bore 2 smoke dirt bikes.
    ... and that is all the hints i am giving ""NOW its up to our resident EXSPURTS to Google too try to FIGURE IT OUT'.

forum has turned to shyt !!!!!!, lips have moved and i have said what needs to be said!
    Last edited by mcn6; 02-07-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: hyodung is a dirtbag

Home of Newmiller Machine

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

in saying that ;

Really the above in big font is all I read on your post sorry.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

I am a weiner
    Fixed it for ya.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information