Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1996 Seadoo Xp Please helo!!!

Hey Guys! I have a nice xp that I bought 2 years ago. The owner said it was rebuilt and the thing ran great the few times I rode it! I went to winterize it last year before I went on a 6 month deployment to Kuwait and it would not start or turn over. Just a single Click. I was able to jump the solenoid and fog the cylinders. I just put a new aftermarket cheap starter solenoid off ebay on it and I do not get anything. Not even the click it made with the stock solenoid.. The vts and fuel cage come up but nothing else happens. I am very frustrated. I am not an expert pwc mechanic but I hate to take it to the dealer. Any advice or trouble shooting would be awesome. I have a fresh battery in it and still can jump the starter solenoid. Is there a fuse that I should check in the fuse box up front? Try a different solenoid?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Re: 1996 Seadoo Xp Please helo!!!

Remove the lag bolt at the base of the coil that has all the ground loops on it and shine those up then put it back together with dielectric grease. Test the yellow wire with black stripe where it plugs into the solenoid for 12v whenever you press the start button with the DESS key on.

PWCToday Newbie

Hey thanks for the reply, I got it started. I actually connected the thin black ground for the vts to the + terminal by accident. I fully charged the battery and connected it the right way. fired right up. Now the vts does not work. I pulled the motor and tested it and it is good and works in both directions. All I hear is a click from the module behind where the vts connects. Do you think I may have fried it or just blew a fuse?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

You blew the 7.5 amp VTS fuse.

Thank you for your service to our country.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

That would be ideal but I am not 100 % sure what fuse that is. In the rear black electrical box where the starter solenoid there is 2 fuses right next to each other. One is a 10 and ones a 15. If I pull one fuse the ski still starts the other the ski does not run. Also In the front Grey box I have three fuses but Again they are 5 10 and 15 amp!! I know I replace the vts fuse before and I am pretty sure it was in the back box!! But the fuses look good and still n othing!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Someone replaced the 7.5 with a 10 in the black (rear) e-box. The 15 runs everything else.

PWCToday Newbie

I will try a new 7.5 amp fuse but I did did swap the two just for an experiment and still just got a click click click!! I am so used to hooking up the battery in my stand up with the bilge pump wires I wasnt thinking. I can get a new vts module from the dealer at cost but I really dont want to wast time and money if I am overlooking something.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

With someone putting a 10 amp fuse, where the 7.5 should be, I am guessing you burned up the module.

If your motor is good, check that you are getting voltage to the module. If you are then it is shot. If you are not getting voltage, check all connections, switches, etc.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Thread Information