pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Ran on hose for about 45 mins - Whoops...

So I know I'm going to get smashed for this - and I totally deserve it - but I did something stupid and need help knowing what to do. This is all very embarrassing, but anyway...

So I was trying to do an oil change and wanted to make sure the engine got nice and warm, several times over because I did a few changes at once. I have a tendency to do things very thoroughly, and this time I really screwed up. I figured as long as the water coming out of the exhaust was not too hot everything was OK. I have never heard about carbon rings or wear rings or whatever.

The ski ran for about 45 mins to 1 hr all up, with short breaks in between to change oil. Since then I took it to the lake and ran it for a few hours. I couldn't notice any significant difference, but I am wondering if it's a little slower than it used to be - my speedo doesn't work so I can't tell for sure.

So my questions are
    1. What damage is likely to have been done, and how can I tell?
    2. Will things get worse or some kind of catastrophic failure if I don't repair damage?

Please let me know - I don't really know a whole lot as you can probably tell. I don't want the kids using the ski and get stranded or hurt due to my stupidity...
    2004 Yamaha FX160

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Ran on hose for about 45 mins - Whoops...

Sea-Doo's only have carbon rings, your Yamaha does not.

Although I would NOT recommend running your ski that long on the hose, you are probably fine.... Should do nothing to the jet pump impeller, and or wear ring.

Worst case, you stressed your drive, and pump bearings some as they are not in the water, but if you were just idling, again I am sure you are fine.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    Sea-Doo's only have carbon rings, your Yamaha does not.

Although I would NOT recommend running your ski that long on the hose, you are probably fine.... Should do nothing to the jet pump impeller, and or wear ring.

Worst case, you stressed your drive, and pump bearings some as they are not in the water, but if you were just idling, again I am sure you are fine.
    Wow, THANK YOU John, so relieved. And I feel good having a PWC guru answering as well! I still remember all your help from trying to get my beleaguered old Kawi SS to run. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by todd; 01-15-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    2004 Yamaha FX160

PWCToday Regular

You should be fine. Just don’t leave the hose on with the engine stopped. Same with towing it behind a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bfunke View Post
    You should be fine. Just donít leave the hose on with the engine stopped. Same with towing it behind a boat.
    Thanks! Yeah I got that. I have managed to fill an engine with water once but not by doing that. Thanks for chipping in, feeling much better.
    2004 Yamaha FX160

Yep, as the others have said......a 4 stroke Yamaha will run all day long at idle on the hose & still not be up to full engine temp.......although I wouldn't recommend doing that.......you won't have damaged anything!

Dave

2007 FXHO 160 Cruiser, Sold
    2012 FXHO Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Yep, as the others have said......a 4 stroke Yamaha will run all day long at idle on the hose & still not be up to full engine temp.......although I wouldn't recommend doing that.......you won't have damaged anything!
    Thank you!
    2004 Yamaha FX160

Thread Information