Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

SXR 900 ACE build

All right guys its finally time to start a thread. i've been hijacking RideH2O's thread way too many times posting about my build.
    I havent started one earlier because i was trying to hide this build from my riding buddies out here until it was mostly complete.

So for starters i was sick of only getting an hour or less to ride my sxr per tank of fuel. I like to ride for much much longer than that per day. and i'm not unfamiliar with swaps (i had an 1100sx last season, but thats a whole other thread)

as far as i know this is the only TOTALLY STOCK hull with this setup inside. 1/14/2018 i know of two in Australia with aftermarket hulls and of one in progress in Arizona Rideh2O's maching (which is totally sick) and i know of at least one more in chicago area that is being built.

Hull: Stock with no modifications 2005 SX-R 800
    engine: 2016 Rotax 900 ACE (90hp stock)
    Pole: my own made alumium. chinpad holds the gauge.
    Pump: stock 800 with 14/23 impeller (for now) no idea what i need for impeller yet.
    weight with one gallon of fuel in the tank: 425 lbs

Since i dont have a ton of posts each day i guess ill just post what i have here. feel free to message me with questions of post them below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: SXR 900 ACE build

so i started searching for a motor, or a crashed spark i could use as parts and i finally found one.
    shipping weight on that was 200lbs including a pallet, box, steering assembly. ect.
    opened it up and boom. gauge only showed 2 minutes!
    set it all out on my bench, wow, all that has to fit inside my stand up. so i started measuring. thought if i took 2 inches out of the middle of the fuel tank and plastic welded it together that it would fit and i wouldnt have to make one. Hard no. it wasnt even going to be close. (dang tape measure and its lies)
    i started off with a base weight and totaly forgot to put the exhaust i just removed on the scale. so in the photo is without fuel or an exhaust. but everything else is inside. 380lbs
    shipping weight of the 800 motor, ebox, carbs, and intake was 99lbs shipping wieght of the stock exhaust was 27lbs

after the first very rough drop in fitment i was getting pretty excited as the pto on the engine was already close to being lined up with a stock driveshaft and carrier bearing! I stuck a impeller removal tool into the pto of the engine so i could get a better view.

since it fits its time to start thinking about a fuel tank..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fenix169motox; 01-14-2018 at 03:51 PM.

saved for mounts

saved for exhaust

saved for fuel tank

saved for pole and such

saved for misc.

getting her mounted:

so for starters i have to get this thing mounted up, ive gotta have enough room up front for a tank and enough room in the rear for somewhat of a waterbox since the rotax uses a egt sensor.
    found that the oem mounts ar
    e great places to add spacers to and have slotted holds for the rotax mounts to slide in. this gives me some wiggle room!
    KIMG3482.jpg

after adding 1.25" to the existing hull mount i was a the right height for the pto to line up with my drive shaft.
    KIMG3433.jpg
    the shaft in the photo below was leftover from sx1100 swap and is not used in this swap. just for refrence before my xi shaft came in the mail.
    KIMG3435.jpg

since i like having a backup plan i used a driveshaft that i could use if i had to drop an 1100 in there and not have to buy another shaft.
    so behold a 750 xi shaft. no carrier bearing spacers required here. now all i have to do is make a stub shaft that the rotax pto will accept and adapt to kawasaki
    KIMG3462.jpg

this spot i felt gave me enough room in front of the engine for the fuel module and enough in behind the motor for a o.e. style waterbox.
    KIMG3436.jpg

more mounts

so with my adapters in place i had to space up another 1/4" below the adapter and another 1/2" above.
    lots of grinding to make them almost the same shape as the oem mounts.

KIMG3491.jpg
    KIMG3493.jpg

Fuel tank

All right. now that shes mounted i needed a fuel tank. one that would accept the seadoo fuel pump assembly. since ill have a fuel gauge on the cluster i wanted to make sure i had a tank that would work with the original pump.
    i absolutely did not want to go external fuel pump...
    i searched endlessly for days looking for an already made tank that would fit right inside. i stumbled upon some photos of the seadoo centre TRAK 903. which had a fuel tank that looked PERFECT.
    SDC-Trak-903-4275.jpg
    these guys were great to deal with and i'm not badmounthing them AT ALL but i went a different route. i made a template from some measurements they gave me and i wasnt confident it would fit properly. i was really gambling on using this tank too!
    KIMG3456.jpg

so i stumbled on a guy who makes tanks for 1100sxr swaps.
    20170520_180618-1.jpg
    They hold more fuel than stock and sit about 2" ahead of the stock location. and it even has a battery tray! this guy makes the best fuel cells i have seen. beautiful welds, nice fitment. and heck the dudes nice enough to let me fit before i buy!
    KIMG3510.jpg
    (he didnt live far from me so that made the deal even better)
    i ended up not being able to use a battery tray tank, not enough room for my fuel pump assembly.

link to his for sale thread is here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=475045

back to my tank, now that i had one i had to mount my fuel pump assembly to it. but how? nobody makes a threaded weld in adapter to use the OEM tank nut.
    so i bought some 4.5" ID 5.5"OD .5"Thick material i could machine and weld onto my tank.
    KIMG3579.jpg

i bored the inside a little bit to fit the oem gasket and drilled/tapped 4 holes so i could have a "sandwich" plate hold the pump in place.
    (pump used is a dummy pump that was broke. hence the brass fitting)
    KIMG3584.jpg

time to attach this to my tank.. that i just spent $400 on.....
    most terrifing part of this build. (other than hoping someone you just paypal'd a TON of money to sends you an engine)
    5" hole saw time...
    KIMG3593.jpg

now that its over, time to add my piece
    KIMG3594.jpg

and weld it KIMG3596.jpg
    Last edited by Fenix169motox; 01-14-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information