• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSNate
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Apr 2010

Re: SX-R or SJ

Originally posted by slag View Post
    I'm in this same boat right now. Everyone seems to want 2x NADA for a good working SXR 800 and 2017-2018 SXR's can be found for $8k before taxes/fees, etc. I settled on a couple superjets instead after watching them demolish 800sxr skis at a local race. Always wanted a superjet anyway due to the playful freestyle aspect, and even though any standup is hard to find, there were more superjets near NADA then 800 sxr skis. I've ridden a 1500 SXR and while it's fast, it has no personality. I mean, anyone can stand up on one and it basically drives itself through the water. Handles great, super awesome in chop, but lacks that feeling like you are on the edge, at least to me.
    I felt the same about the 1500 SXR. Peel your eyelids back speed and power. But.... Felt the same as another riding friends Sea-Doo Wake Pro. Just has a pole and tray.
    sigpic

Comment

• mityike
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Sep 2017

What are your thoughts on the SXR 800 vs a 08+ Superjet? I'm torn between the two, and with countless hours of reading the forums, I'm still confused as ever. I'm looking for something to run around on, not into racing, is stable, and can still jump waves and have fun playing. The SJ sounds great, but the larger tray of the SXR sounds more inviting for me (6', 230). I just hate giving up the playfulness of the SJ just for the larger tray. Anyone else out there in the 6' 225+ range running the SJ? Or is the 800 still a good enough surf machine for waves without the need for full freestyle?

Comment

• slag
        Resident Guru
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JSNate View Post
        I felt the same about the 1500 SXR. Peel your eyelids back speed and power. But.... Felt the same as another riding friends Sea-Doo Wake Pro. Just has a pole and tray.
        I should mention that its an awesome, awesome ski though, the 1500. Very reliable, and I was coming from a 650sx so it was quite an experience for me and I had a huge grin on my face. I think it would be a great ski if you are trying to get your wife to ride with you or younger son, but those of us who have ridden standups, even older ones, will tire of it after a season or less.

Comment

• slag
          Resident Guru
          • Jul 2002

I'm 6' and 210 lbs. No problems with the superjet tray or sxr tray. It's true the SXR tray is bigger, but I also own a 550sx and if you can ride that, the superjet is no problem. I wouldn't let tray area be the deciding factor personally. Plenty of room in either to switch stances or stand with both feet together, etc.

Comment

• mityike
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Sep 2017

Thx. My last ski was a 650sx (years ago), and now looking for another to hit the surf and play in the bay. No real freestyle so to speak. I have a WB1 that my son has wrestled away, so looking to get back into the stand up arena and be able to hit some waves with him. I know the 800 SXR was a little on the heavier side, but thought it might be a little more forgiving (stable) in the surf. Found a great deal locally on one, and the closest SJ is 500 Miles away, but is also a great deal. Both are stock, except the SJ has footholds.

Comment

• pro785
              Frequent Poster
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bdwb View Post
              Thanks - hadn't thought about the Polaris - not seeing any for sale within a reasonable distance from me though. Thinking I am going to go with the kawa 1500 or a friend of a friend may have an 800 SXR for sale.
              I really like Polaris and I recommend against it. Parts can be hard to find, sometimes you end up looking for your own parts or making your own stuff.

I have a 750 sxi and a superjet. The biggest difference in handling is that the 750 is much easier to roll and lean over, which makes it a little easier to turn for newbies (that's what I've heard from new riders at least who have tried my SJ and my 750), and the SJ has a more flat feel until you break out of the flat zone and it starts to lean. But it doesn't lean as nice. People like it more for freestyle and messing around in circles because it's flatter and it's more forgiving when you would be rolling when you don't want to. But it makes for a boat that doesn't free-ride as nicely as a Kaw.

However, the SJ rides a lot smoother with less proposing. I believe the SXR hull is much better than the SX hull and it doesn't have those problems. But I only rode an SXR for a little bit, and it was an SXR 1100 (and it was pretty amazing)

Kaw and SJ handle very differently. I've had lots of people tell me that it's stupid for me to have both, and a waste because "who needs to standups". And then they try it and they realize they are both very different machines.

Personally, I'd buy a 750 sx(i) that has proper handling upgrades, and an older SJ, if that's in your budget. A 650 SJ that has been modded is a lot of fun, just as good, if not better, than a stock 701.
              90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
              98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
              98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
              95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
              01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

Comment

Working...
              X