User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feedback on the Latest JS hull handeling aids...

So I am considering adding one of the latest handling aids for my 550SX. The boat is primarily just a 'fun' boat for both me and my friends (some of which are newbies), but the guys I ride with are trying to goad me into entering the local races when they come around, so being race legal might be an issue...

Rear Sponsons: The latest over bond flange sponson looks really aggressive; is it race legal? The XL Performance Rear Sponson is longer but less aggressive, and it looks like it would spread the load across more of the bond flange.

Front Sponsons: I think I want to ride a JS hull that has front sponsons before I commit to them. First, they are a bit pricey, and second you have to drill / screw into the hull (not just the bond flange like the rears). I'd like to know that it is worth it / that I'd like it before I buy it, but I'd like to hear from those who think front sponsons are a better improvement and more worthwhile than the rears.

Thanks,

Bob
    750 X2 build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=463139
    Twin 550SXs build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=468310

My website and links to my film, The Hobby Stop: http://www.rannugmedia.com

Classic 911 website: http://members.rennlist.com/bgruen/

Re: Feedback on the Latest JS hull handeling aids...

I put the pro watercraft front sponsons and the 55zero above bond rears on my ski at the same time. I can say it was night a day a brand new ski and felt like a wider ski, so much more stable in the rough water chasing other skis. I have seen people racing with the fronts and above bond rears. Most vintage class is pretty lax on rules as long as its safe, if you were the only one with them and won a few times someone might complain but most racers in the vintage run fronts and some run the rears. More may run the rears now as that was last June when I was at a race.

I would def do the fronts, the rears are easy to add when you can afford them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JustStandups; 01-08-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    VHP7000 #132 T1
    VHP7000 #169 T3
    VHP7000 #174 project PJS Triple 795cc
    550sx PJS all over w/ 440 fully ported

I put both the ProWatercraft Front Sponsons and the on top rear sponsons on my JS and it made the ski 1000000% better. I would definitely recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frequent Poster

Can you paint them?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

I have a few sets left of the Prowatercraft rear sponsons at last years pricing. Get them now before the price increase. New price will be $200.....

https://www.watcon.com/body-hull/spo.../fish-sticks-1
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by filoo View Post
    Can you paint them?
    I'm sure you can. I've seen some that are painted pink or white. Im sure any type of plastic paint would work.
    I like the black, so I'll leave mine black!

Your local race is a "run what you brung" vintage class so don't worry about building it to spec. Every ski I have put sponsons on made it much more fun to ride both for buoys and rec riding. I say go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

The tubbies correct more of a design flaw with the hull, where as the fish sticks, which I haven't tried yet, are more of a handling improvement. If that makes sense. I had tubbies on mine only and it was way more fun to ride just with those. The steering response and nimbleness is much greater because of the additional side support. Basically when you lean in a turn, at a much earlier time the tubbies provide side pop back up. So if you are doing an imaginary slalom this pop is giving you added responsiveness while turning. Without tubbies, when you turn there are certain circumstances where the hull just wont pop back up. For most riders this seems to be overcome with super aggressive riding styles and faster speeds/ bounces back up from turns. The tubbies give you much more finesse with the steering response and carving / leaning. If you have ever ridden a 2008+ superjet or any Kawasaki with tubbies the feeling is similar.

I can't speak to the fish sticks but when I put the Rhaas 750 swap in, I noticed that significantly locked the rear down better, no matter which ride plate. That was a significant improvement. On my next build I might try Kommander rear sponsons in the mid location.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [45.2mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

I have an '87 550 with a PJS Reed Motor. I wasn't able to ride the ski until I put sponsons on it.

I put front sponsons on the ski first, and like Vetteman said, it significantly help the ski due to the horrible hull design.
    It made it easier to ride at both low and high speeds, and in both flat and choppy water.

I have the ProWatercraft Rear Sponsons on it as well, and it was 10000x better after I put them on. It was almost hard to crash off the side. It plowed the chop and provided amazing stability. It was awkward to turn with at first, but after I rode more I got used to it.

I would definitely recommended both front and rear sponsons for your JS. It will make it feel like a completely different ski.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Waxhead's Avatar

Introducing the wax racing sponsons. There are made from 6061 alloy anodized. they are bottled through your bond to a plate on the other side. They are unique in the fact you can adjust them back and forth up to 4 inches to fine tune for your riding style. Ijsba legal and beautifully machined so acurate down to .01mm. They will be ready to go in 6 weeks we are just finalizing the price. They fit both an sx and a js hull it doesn't matter which. pricing will be about the $200 usa mark. I can get them done in the color to match your ski as long as i get enough request for that color. Or we can supply them an anodized and you can get them done your self. www.waxracingproducts.com will be up and online in the next few days with some exciting and never been seen before products for the 550 vintage skis
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Www.waxracingproducts.com
    All your billet vintage parts in one place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information