Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Sxi pro mods on a budget

I'm wondering what mods can I make ,on the cheap, to my ski which I intend to use for recreational riding and some buoy chasing? Just to make things clear I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, the problem I'm facing is that I live in eastern Europe where our monthly income barely gets to 500$. My goal is to get the best possible out of everything (handling, holeshot, top speed) for the least amount of money possible
    So far I did a top end rebuild with a 1 mm overbore, tbm head with 26 cc domes, fpp limited pipe, r&d intake grate, 18" extended ride plate, 0* handlebars, nozzle bored to 81 mm, short pump cone, filled in the cavity in the pump shoe and pump housing, and filled in the driveshaft tunnel.
    I want to know if it's a good idea to remove the choke butterflies and grind down the butterfly stops as well as remove the rubber trumpets out of the stock airbox because I just can't justify spending 100$ on two pieces of wire mesh which I already have. I guess the biggest improvement would be to get a new impeller, so I need some advices to what impeller should I get, and some guidelines for tuning my carbs as they will be way off if I do the upper mentioned things to them. Also did anybody try to make their own hull extensions and front sponsons?

Re: Sxi pro mods on a budget

Hey Jet_Dan,

We have almost the same setup on our 2 SXi Pros that you mention above and both run really well. One has K&N arrestors and the other has Tau Cetis. That being said a lot of guys run the stock box with the rubber restrictors removed with great luck.

As far as impellers go we have a Skat 9/17 on one of our skis and a Hooker 10/17 on the other. Both are awesome compared to the stocker but I would give the Hooker a slight advantage in overall performance. Just seems to hook up better in all conditions and that ski is slightly faster in top speed as well.

Hope this helps!

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_ii View Post
    Hey Jet_Dan,

We have almost the same setup on our 2 SXi Pros that you mention above and both run really well. One has K&N arrestors and the other has Tau Cetis. That being said a lot of guys run the stock box with the rubber restrictors removed with great luck.

As far as impellers go we have a Skat 9/17 on one of our skis and a Hooker 10/17 on the other. Both are awesome compared to the stocker but I would give the Hooker a slight advantage in overall performance. Just seems to hook up better in all conditions and that ski is slightly faster in top speed as well.

Hope this helps!
    Great, thanks! Did you change the jets in your carbs, or you managed to adjust it just by turning the high and low needles?

Both our skis have the stock dual Mikuni SBN carbs. We rejetted with the following specs provided by Newmiller Machine for this ski with a milled head, factory pipe, aftermarket flame arrestors and choke butterflies removed. Fine tuning was done with the needles.

Main jet = 152.5
    Pilot jet = 72.5
    2.0 Needle w/80g spring (apx. 22psi pop off)

These specs are for approx. 1000’ above sea level (although we live at 500' above sea level and the skis run great)

Hope this helps!

PWCToday Newbie

Both our skis have the stock dual Mikuni SBN carbs. We rejetted with the following specs provided by Newmiller Machine for this ski with a milled head, factory pipe, aftermarket flame arrestors and choke butterflies removed. Fine tuning was done with the needles.

Main jet = 152.5
    Pilot jet = 72.5
    2.0 Needle w/80g spring (apx. 22psi pop off)

These specs are for approx. 1000 above sea level (although we live at 500' above sea level and the skis run great)

Hope this helps!
    Huge thanks!! This will help alot...when you remove the butterflies do you remove the shaft as well?
    Last edited by Jet_Dan; 01-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Yes. A good primer kit comes with brass plugs to put in the holes the shafts were in. IMO a primer kit is needed if the choke is removed.

PWCToday Newbie

Yes. A good primer kit comes with brass plugs to put in the holes the shafts were in. IMO a primer kit is needed if the choke is removed.
    Yes I know that a primer is needed, I have it on my 650sx, just the previous owner left the butterfly in the carb as well...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seadoobutch787's Avatar

Hooker hands down!!
    1997 Seadoo SPX---limited mod
    1996 Seadoo GSX--Cruiser
    1995 Kawasaki 550/750sx---Conversion ski
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...750+conversion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucxd...TcG7qp45xTX9xV

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks guys... So does anybody have any info about grinding down the butterfly stops, and homemade hull extensions?

What do you mean by “grinding down the butterfly stops”?

I haven’t seen any homemade hull extensions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information