Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2000 RX 951 oil issue and prop question

I have a 2000 Seadoo RX that I bought from someone for $400 that didn't run. The engine had low compression in the pto cylinder (115psi, 135 in mag cylinder). I pulled the engine and took the top end apart and when I turned it on its side the mag cylinder had about a cup of oil in the crank area. little to none in the pto crank area. wondering what this means? Is there a seal leaking from the oil pump or what should I be looking for? I haven't taken apart the bottom end or anything other than the cylinders.

Also, It has an aftermarket solas prop that must have taken a rock and bent one of the blades where it first takes in the water. Other then the bend the prop looks good. Is there anyone out there who can straighten this or should I just look for a replacement prop.

Thanks,

Bri

PWCToday Guru

Re: 2000 RX 951 oil issue and prop question

I will take a long shot guess at this. A cup is a lot of oil to fit into the crank case. There are only a couple of ways the oil could have gotten in there, either someone put it in there or it leaked in through the pump. It is has been sitting for any length of time, a defective pimp could have leaked it in. What kind of oil was it? Did it match the color of the oil in the tank?

Since you have the engine apart now, I would plumb the pump off the engine to see whats going on. Put a LONG 4-5 foot line on the inlet side of the pump. The longer the better. Stretch that upward, secure it up high over your work bench. Put a small funnel on top. Fill that with oil. Bleed the pump according to the standard procedure. Put a small cup under each of the pump outlets. Let it set for a few days and see what happens.

The prop situation is totally dependent on the amount of damage. Is there metal missing from the damaged prop? Is the metal torn or just bent? Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to straighten it yourself.

Free service manual download.
    http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pd...p-manual-2.pdf
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday Newbie

The only damage to the prop is the bend on one blade. No other nicks or wear. Wondering if there is a good way to clamp the blade to bend it or if there is someone out there who does this.

The ski sat for about a year so the oil may have gradually leaked into the cylinder from the oil pump? would replacing the pump solve this or is there a seal out on the end of the crank allowing this to happen?

bricud

PWCToday Guru

Yes, it is possible the oil leaked into the cylinder from the pump over time. That is why I suggested you try the setup as I outlined. To see if oil leaks through the pump. If this is the cause, a new pump should correct that problem.

A bad crank seal would not cause oil to collect in the engine. You should however do a pressure test when you get the engine back together to be sure they are no crankcase leaks. Crankcase leaks are a death sentence to a 2 stroke engine.

I know they can repair regular props. I am not aware of an impeller rebuilder. There may very well be some.
    Last edited by hemmjo; 01-03-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

The engine has a rotating counter balance shaft that runs parallel to the crank driven by a gear from the centre of the crank.
    These gears run in a bath of oil that is separate from the crankcase area of each cylinder
    these gears require 40 mL of SAE 30 Oil, Gear oil works as long as its 30 SAE
    The problem you may have is the gasket surface between the crank and the counter balance shaft is very small (approx 1/4 inch wide) and if it leaks oil can settle in the crank case area.
    To verify this means you have to pull down the engine .......... which means to remove the engine from the hull
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday Newbie

I've already pulled the engine as the cylinders are much easier to put together with the engine out. I may as well open up the bottom end and replace the seals while I'm waiting for the cylinders to come back from the shop. Sounds like that may be the likely culprit.

Thanks,

Bricud

I dream skis

An impeller is a very precise object. I would not attempt to repair it yourself. Impros does impeller work.

Check the inlet nipples on the block for the oil lines. These may be equipped with a ball check or something similar. This may allow oil to leak through, too.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar

Test the check valves in the oil injection nozzles. One could be leaking.

Chester
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

Thread Information