User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

rebuilding a 2001 951 engine top end

can i rebuild just the top end w.e comes in the kit on a 2001 seadoo xp 951 engine without changing the bottom end parts ?
    and when do i need to change the sleeves or rebore them , everyones posting videos on rebuilding but nobody's explaining the cylinders or sleeves when to change when to bore when to use it as is

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: rebuilding a 2001 951 engine top end

On a 951 I wouldn't and don't ,you at least need to replace the crank seals and spin the bearings by hand to make sure they are in good order, given that the 951 top end is not easily rebuilt in the hull anyway I would do the whole nine yards.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Quote Originally Posted by k_24` View Post
    can i rebuild just the top end w.e comes in the kit on a 2001 seadoo xp 951 engine without changing the bottom end parts ?
    and when do i need to change the sleeves or rebore them , everyones posting videos on rebuilding but nobody's explaining the cylinders or sleeves when to change when to bore when to use it as is
    When you pull the cylinders off, look at the very bottom of the cylinder sleeve. On both of my 951 rebuilds, I had small cracks forming. Even though I could have overbored to the next size, I opted to replace the sleeves(LA Sleeve) as a precaution. I don't need the bottom of the sleeve breaking off while the engine is whipping around at 7200 rpm. That's a great way to add "extra ventilation" to the engine cases.....

Are you asking how to replace the sleeves or just if you should pay to have them changed. Personally, unless you want to experiment with high horsepower modifications, and your pocketbook can support the expense, going stock is best for reliability. New cylinders sleeves will still have to be bored and honed for standard pistons. One exception: Bill O's jet kit from Watercraft Magic with Prok filters. Helps the motor not run as lean as the factory spec. Burning a little more fuel is cheaper in the long run than doing upper end rebuilds every 100 hours or so. YMMV.
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #2
    99XPL Runs like it's possessed! :

02RX Current project in-work, ready to be assembled.
    A BIG THANKS to Bill O' and Chris at Watercraft Magic for putting together an excellent re-jetting and Prok filter kit for the XPL.
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Resident Guru

My first question would be how many hours on the ski. Second what makes you think you need a top end. And third what caused the alleged death of the motor. I will say that even though they are not outrageous to rebuild there is a substantial cost to a rebuild. A lot of shade tree mechanics attempt it , and it seems with the 951 a inordinate number fail. They fail because there a lot of small details that if ignored can lead to very serious and quick catastrophic failures. Either way you go your going to want to pull the motor, you can thoroughly evaluate the motor better this way and make better decisions. Don't mean to scare you off just trying to give solid advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro-Mike View Post
    My first question would be how many hours on the ski. Second what makes you think you need a top end. And third what caused the alleged death of the motor. I will say that even though they are not outrageous to rebuild there is a substantial cost to a rebuild. A lot of shade tree mechanics attempt it , and it seems with the 951 a inordinate number fail. They fail because there a lot of small details that if ignored can lead to very serious and quick catastrophic failures. Either way you go your going to want to pull the motor, you can thoroughly evaluate the motor better this way and make better decisions. Don't mean to scare you off just trying to give solid advice.
    It has low compression in one cylinder thats all i know 90psi

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

The 951 is a beast. As such it tends to wear out a bit quicker than other engines. A carbed 951 top end is usually worn out before 200 hours. Then the crank bearings will be pretty much beat by 300 hours. If this was a different engine id say if the crank turns smooth then rebuild the top end and run it. BUT....this is a 951! Everything has to be just right or it will not last a season. A full disassembly with low end bearing inspection is in order. Then if its all good you can have the cylinders bored oversize and install a new top end.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Resident Guru

K24- I second Myself's post. The cranks are suspect until you see if there in spec, and even on a good one over 100 hours I would op to replace with a rebuilt one.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar

It's never a good idea to just do a top end on any PWC. Completely tear it down, inspect everything and replace what's needed. Always new seals. Just bore out the cylinders if that's all they need.

Chester
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

Agree totally with the last 3 posts especially on a 951. I have done a lot of top ends only but only depending on hours, what cause of top end failure is, etc.

As much as we all hate spending money unnecessarily and taking extra time to do a job --putting $300. dollars in parts and many hours labor in just doing a top end in some cases is risky and not the best option. When a 951 goes out with crank issues it is usually a big deal .
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Thread Information