Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Superjet Lag

Superjet Lag

Hi guys, I'm having some issues with jet lag. I have a 2001 superjet, all stock, accept for the full scoop grate and hooker 9/15. When I punch the throttle at low speeds, the RPM's sound like they ramp up immediately, but the ski doesn't accelerate immediately. The ski is giving me about .5 - 1 full second of slow acceleration before it really pulls hard. This is making my ski feel sluggish.

I understand that a stock superjet is no flat water backflip ski that should rip my arms off, but I would expect the acceleration to be proportional to the rpm curve. I have looked at the pump and see no gap between the wear ring and OD of the impeller. Any body else experience this? Thanks!

PWCToday Newbie

Superjet Lag

What youíre explaining sounds like a wear ring or impeller problem. Although itís kind of rare if it still has the factory stainless steel wear ring. Can you get a video of it doing this so we can hear how the rpmís are climbing? Also Iím sure you checked already but make sure thereís nothing stuck in the pump tunnel, I had a water stuck in there one time that caused a similar issue that I couldnít see just by looking under the ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Egkid; 12-04-2017 at 07:50 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Superjet Lag

Agreed. Sounds like cavitation. COuld be from bad/bent impeller, bad pump seal, pump shoe, intake scoop, etc.

I have had cases where everything looks OK, until you take it apart, and then and only then can you see the impeller is bent, etc.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

[QUOTE=Egkid;4458202]What you’re explaining sounds like a wear ring or impeller problem. Although it’s kind of rare if it still has the factory stainless steel wear ring. Can you get a video of it doing this so we can hear how the rpm’s are climbing? Also I’m sure you checked already but make sure there’s nothing stuck in the pump tunnel, I had a water stuck in there one time that caused a similar issue that I couldn’t see just by looking under the ski.

I put in a brand new hooker 9/15 a few weeks ago, thinking that the dings in my previous hooker (for sale on pwc) was causing the issue. But the new impeller made no difference. Having taken the pump out to do this, I noticed no defects or lodged objects in the pump.

I will try to see if any of my videos have that sound we are looking for. If not, it will have to wait till next year because the water is freezing up in CT. I can definitely say that there is gouge in the hull, right at the tip of the pump shoe, where the shoe is actually not in contact with the hull anymore because of the gouge (see the pic below, hard to notice, the gouge along the shoe, left side of hull).

Perhaps the rpm's are not increasing immediately, and it only sounds like they are. This would mean I have a tuning issue or low compression maybe.

IMG_7452.JPG

Repair that gouge and fair it properly. Or at the very least, fill it with silicone. Air may be entering the pump thru that gouge, causing cavitation.

Ok, well I repaired and painted the bottom of my hull. No more gouges. I checked the wear ring gap with feelers and found about 0.010" gap. I don't think that's that bad. More importantly, I installed a Factory B pipe.

I took a ride yesterday and noticed gains in the mid range power. Awesome! However, the low end response is still isn't there, and maybe even worse. New impeller, good wear ring clearance, and a properly aligned shaft should mean good hook up and snap with a 9/15 hooker. But I get no snap. If I pin it from 2mph, the motor sounds like it revs, but I accelerate slowly for a moment. Perhaps the motor is simply SOUNDING louder (like it's revving up) because the throttle is wide open. I will try to tune it and see what happens.

for reference I can only jump my own wake about 8 inches out of the water. This might be skill related! I am open to constructive criticism on these short clips as well! Water temp was 43F

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dorny119; 04-06-2018 at 11:21 AM.

check your pump seal for any damage or folded spots, either replace or add silicone to ensure a tight seal.

Also I’m assuming you rejetted when adding the pipe?
    FIBRENEW SIMCOE MUSKOKA
    Amazing leather and vinyl repair!
    Marine, Automotive, Furniture, RV's, powersports, and much more!
    www.fibrenew.com/simcoe-muskoka

808 fixed steer RN

Quote Originally Posted by jetx View Post
    check your pump seal for any damage or folded spots, either replace or add silicone to ensure a tight seal.

Also I’m assuming you rejetted when adding the pipe?
    Ok i'll check for that. And yes I rejetted it to 95 gram spring, 135 high speed, and 72.5 low speed.

Thread Information