User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

62t crank alignment pins

Anyone have experience pulling these pins out. The two rear alignment pins have been pushed in flush. Would like to send to someone to get worked if possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

PWCToday Guru

Re: 62t crank alignment pins

Ah, I feel your pain!! Those pins get pushed flush like that for two possible reasons. The first is whoever installed the crank did not get the pins lined up with the holes in the bearings. Then when the cases were torqued together the pins get pressed into the case. The second way that incorrect pins were used that are short.

Either way they are tough to remove. I recently purchased a non running engine with a pin like this. In my situation, you could actually see scuff marks in the bearing where the pin had been pressing against it as the engine ran. Since the case could not be pulled together properly when it was assembled, the engine I purchased had failed due a melted piston from the air leak this created.

I was able to remove the pin from the case. Look at the opposite side of your case, where that pin hole would come out if it was drilled all the way through. You may be able see some damage where the metal in the case was actually distorted as the pin was forced into the hole. If you can see the damage, you can SMACK that spot with a small pin punch to push the pin out of the hole far enough to get hold of it with vise grips.

If you cannot see that spot, or if you do not want to smack it with a punch set your case up in a drill press and drill a small hole though the case to access the pin to push it out. There are is as easy way to hit that pin exactly when drilling from the other side. If you need to know, I can explain that if you want to do it.

When the pin is out, clean the hole with brake cleaner. Fill the PIN HOLE with JB Weld. Then insert the pin and press it in to the proper depth. This will force the JB out the hole you drilled, and leave the JB to fill the bottom of the original hole to the proper depth. This will also glue the pin into the hole, but you do not need to take it out anyway.

Good Luck
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Ah, I feel your pain!! Those pins get pushed flush like that for two possible reasons. The first is whoever installed the crank did not get the pins lined up with the holes in the bearings. Then when the cases were torqued together the pins get pressed into the case. The second way that incorrect pins were used that are short.

Either way they are tough to remove. I recently purchased a non running engine with a pin like this. In my situation, you could actually see scuff marks in the bearing where the pin had been pressing against it as the engine ran. Since the case could not be pulled together properly when it was assembled, the engine I purchased had failed due a melted piston from the air leak this created.

I was able to remove the pin from the case. Look at the opposite side of your case, where that pin hole would come out if it was drilled all the way through. You may be able see some damage where the metal in the case was actually distorted as the pin was forced into the hole. If you can see the damage, you can SMACK that spot with a small pin punch to push the pin out of the hole far enough to get hold of it with vise grips.

If you cannot see that spot, or if you do not want to smack it with a punch set your case up in a drill press and drill a small hole though the case to access the pin to push it out. There are is as easy way to hit that pin exactly when drilling from the other side. If you need to know, I can explain that if you want to do it.

When the pin is out, clean the hole with brake cleaner. Fill the PIN HOLE with JB Weld. Then insert the pin and press it in to the proper depth. This will force the JB out the hole you drilled, and leave the JB to fill the bottom of the original hole to the proper depth. This will also glue the pin into the hole, but you do not need to take it out anyway.

Good Luck
    Thanks for the reply! I might try drilling from other side to access pins. How did you find the exact spot to drill if there is no damage? My thought process on this is to actually push pins in more to see where they hit on other side, then drill, then push pins out hopefully. Or is there an easier way?

PWCToday Guru

If you have a drill press, find a piece of wood the is sturdy and large enough to hold your case. Like a 2 x 10 or something. Then clamp the wood to the drill press table so the case is completely on the wood. Get the case as close to the correct position as you can while just guessing where the hole needs to be.

Then remove the case from the wood, set it aside. Find a straight piece of metal rod, that is smaller that the pin; weld rod, wire coat hanger, small machine screw with the head cut off, etc. Drill a hole in the wood, using a bit that your piece of metal fits snug into. Then put the piece of metal into the hole you drilled. Make sure the pin is high enough to almost reach the pin in your case when you put the case back on the wood.

Now you have a locating pin that is exactly under the drill bit. Lower the bit to make sure the bit hits that pin. If it is not perfect, adjust your piece of wood. Then clamp your case down so the locating pin is exactly under the pin in your case.

Then you can drill a hole that is as near to perfect alignment with the pin in the case as you can do without using more precision tooling. Drill carefully. Drill a bit, then remove the bit from the hole to clear chips, drill a bit more, clear chips,pay close attention to the progress, you will know when you are out of the aluminum and into the steel pin.

DO NOT press hard when drilling. If by some chance you missed the exact center of the pin, and the bit tries to go down the side of the steel pin in the aluminum case, you will most likely break the bit off in the case.

Does that make sense? If not I can send a photo of the set-up.

John
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Yes, there's an easier way. Smear case sealant on the areas before assembly, the races will stay put.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

It worked! You rock! Thank you for the advice. The hard part is done and I think this set of cases will live another day

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Yes, there's an easier way. Smear case sealant on the areas before assembly, the races will stay put.
    Thanks, I already dove into this one. I'll keep this option in mind next time

Thread Information