User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

so i bought a 1989 650sx

i bought my first stand up jet ski i mostly ride seadoos and sit down pwc i have a 2002 xp951 so i dont know much about kawasaki jet s skis
    i posted some pictures wanted to see what you guys think i should change or modify to make it faster and agile the guy who sold it to me said it sat for 2 years the carb is mikuni sb44 i took it apart and its rusted on t he outside and all dried up on the inside i was told to get sbn 44 .the guy switched to premix so there is no oil res.171202_223327.jpg i dont understand whats the black cap on top of the pto cover for 20171202_222148.jpg

Re: so i bought a 1989 650sx

If you're refering to the front flywheel cover, the cap is for access to timing mark. Not oil! Should be clean and pretty dry. There is an oil pump that was on front flywheel cover. It should have been replaced with a block off. Oil line running to intake oil feed tube should be caped off.1512327533102743180592.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

If the BN carb is junk do as you mentioned and source a SBN44. There is grip of tuning/jetting info posted here to help you out in getting it dialed in.

It appears to have an extended aftermarket exhaust tail cone on it as well.

edit- sitting for so long, do yourself a favor and verify the crank seals are good my completeing a leak down test.
    Last edited by PrickofMisery; 12-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.

There is a lot going on with that picture. That plastic bowl is not a filter, it is a water trap. At minimum 1 line from tank to inlet of carb. 1 return line from carb to fuel tank. There are 2 pickups in tank, if you want to use reserve valve. You need a vent check, it may be on the end of that black hose. Here is a picture of basically what it should look like with fuel on and fuel reserve being used. See how the check valve is? It lets air into tank, but doesn't allow fuel to escape. You can remove water separator,as pictured.1512333270068-1864356710.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PrickofMisery View Post
    If the BN carb is junk do as you mentioned and source a SBN44. There is grip of tuning/jetting info posted here to help you out in getting it dialed in.

It appears to have an extended aftermarket exhaust tail cone on it as well.

edit- sitting for so long, do yourself a favor and verify the crank seals are good my completeing a leak down test.
    Thanks for the info how do i do a leakdown test

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k_24` View Post
    Thanks for the info how do i do a leakdown test
    There are lots of threads here that already detail the process. Here is an example.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=85212

you mentioned the water separator has no filter in it like the seadoos do should i install a filter ?

if the leak test fails how ****ed am i

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by k_24` View Post
    if the leak test fails how ****ed am i
    Not f'd at all, if it doesn't pass just fix the leak. If you don't do a leak down test you'll really be f'd because the engine will blow up if there's a leak! I just learned how to do the test, it's pretty easy and great peice of mind

BN carbs are not junk. Every carb ever used on a PWC has had idiosyncrasies, and sometimes it is hard to even identify the type of carb that you are dealing with because although they look the same from the outside they are drilled differently on the inside. That being said, if your carb is really nasty and you have the cash to replace it then a SBN that has been used on or is set up for a 650 sized engine is a good idea. If I remember correctly the screws that held the stack on the main body of the BN are steel and do rust. Once you replace them with stainless the carb will probably clean up well. Fastenal is a good source for stainless fasteners.

This thread for the X2 has engine and pump content that is also appropriate for the 650SX: HOW TO: fix your new to you x2. READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST A NEW THREAD asking how too .

There is a simple mod for the OEM exhaust system that dries it out and increases performance substantially. Exhaust Pipe Mod. Unfortunately the hosted pics are unavailable.
    750 X2 build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=463139
    Twin 550SXs build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=468310

My website and links to my film, The Hobby Stop: http://www.rannugmedia.com

Classic 911 website: http://members.rennlist.com/bgruen/

Thread Information