User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

92 waverunner vxr cdi went out again

I just replaced this CDI about 14 months ago we rode it for the last time a month ago for a good hour and a half and got it back to the house, it was running a little rough but I flushed it and now I cannot get it started at all and it appears to have no spark. I'm guessing it's the CDI again everything else tests okay. Any suggestions on what CDI to buy? I bought an aftermarket CDI on eBay for $70 last August but I've seen some very clean OEM cdi's pulled out of running skis, would that be better? Can something cause the CDI to go out? Also, I've cut the top off of the original CDI that came with the ski and carefully heated it to get it apart. I've gotten the circuit board completely cleaned on one side and I'm starting to work on the component side just for the heck of it since it's no good anyways but I don't see any bad solder joints on the circuit board so when I get it done I'll post pics.

Banjomaniac

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: 92 waverunner vxr cdi went out again

Aftermarket electrics suck. OE used is better.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

OK, I have another question about this no spark issue. I put in a good original cdi and it still appears to have no spark, I poured a tiny bit of gas in the carb and nothing but a couple minutes later I tried again and it started up but ran kinda rough. After that I couldn't get it started again, pulled the plugs and they were wet with gas so I'm guessing spark is still the issue here and the plugs are brand new. I have the original coil and the plug wire boots. There is no way to remove the coil end of these so no real way to test the wires. I might try trimming the ends and screwing the boots back on, is that all there is to it just cut off 1/2 inch and screw the boot back on? Also, if I decide to buy a new coil, what is a good quality replacement?

Banjomaniac

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Some of the earlier Yamaha Plug caps do not screw off, they have a wire that pierces the plug wire. These are common to go bad, as well as the Yamaha Coils.

Get a shop manual or do a search for Ohms resistance values, so you can test your coil. I would also test your stator (Magnito), and check your start / stop switch assy. (VERY Common)

Easiest way to check the stop switch is to completely unplug. You will have two plugs, one with black/white wires (Stop side) and one with red/brown (Start side) Use a paper clip to jump the red/brown wires to start machine. BE READY as if it does start, you cannot shut it off until you plug in the black/white wires again. If this works, it is your switch assy.

We sell a upgrade high energy coil that fits a SJ, not sure if the wires are long enough for your VXR though. If you email me, or call me with your total length we could compare. (open your box to measure)

https://www.watcon.com/electrical/su...-ignition-coil
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

I got a new spark tester and it is getting spark on both plugs so I'm guessing this might be a gas issue but why if I pour some fuel into the carb it doesn't fire right away? Everything else I've ever worked on if I check for spark and it's good I pour a little fuel into the carb and it'll fire right up maybe only for a couple seconds. I put brand new plugs in it I'm wondering if maybe I'm seeing spark but it's weak?

When you crank the motor with a good proper gaped plug connected to plug wire you should see a very sharp bright blue arc if it's yellow or orange you don't have enough spark. I would get the Clymer manual for it and check out your magnito coils.
    After checking your switches as john suggested
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 12-11-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information