Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Yamaha constant tone alarm

I bought a couple 2004 Yamaha skis at the beginning of the summer. They worked well most of the season. Towards the end, the GP800R started sounding a constant alarm just sitting in the yard. It does not beep, it is constant. The only way to silence it is to pull the battery terminal or unplug the wiring harness that has the thermoswitch and rectifier/regulator wires going through it. So, I believe I successfully tested the thermoswitch and it is good. That alarm seems to beep anyway vs. a constant tone. So that leaves the battery charging system. At least I'm assuming that is what the rectifier/regulator and lighting coil are for. I tried the various tests in the maint. manual using my multi-meter and I think it is pointing to a bad rectifier/regulator. That is at least cheaper and easier to replace than the lighting coil. I'm not entirely sure what loaded vs. unloaded means in the manual. Can anyone confirm that a constant tone alarm sounding at any time (ski has been running or not running doesn't matter) would be the rectifier/regulator? I did also put the battery on a trickle charger for a day or so and hooked it back up to see if this was some kind of undervolt alarm, but the constant alarm sounded within a few seconds of hooking up the terminal. My other theory is that something is shorted up in the display where the alarm comes from. The display for the speedometer is full of condensation. Taking that apart was the next project.

Thanks in advance,
    Yamanewb

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

Re: Yamaha constant tone alarm

If you can start and run it for a few seconds see if your meter reads 13+ volts running and 12+ volts not running - If you get 13+ running the reg/rect is ok.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

PWCToday Newbie

I finally got a chance to start it up and measure across the battery. DC Volts barely measure any higher while its running. 12.48 not running, maybe 12.6 running. So maybe it is the reg/rect. I already have a new one. I will put it in when I get a chance. I already have the cover off that wiring block.

It seems strange that the constant tone does not start right away. It took maybe 2 minutes from the time I hooked up the battery terminal to when it started the tone. And it starts kinda quiet and hits ear piercing after another minute or so. This all started while I was cranking it over trying to get it started.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll post after I get the reg/rect installed.

PWCToday Newbie

Well, that seems to have done the trick. I plugged in the new rect/reg and started it up. The voltage climbed steadily for a few minutes. I shut it off when it hit 13.3 V or so after 3 or 4 minutes idling. AND NO ALARM!

It would be nice if the manuals described that behavior. No where in the user or service manual did it talk about a constant tone alarm.

Thanks for the help.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

Glad you got it sorted out - In a perfect world the constant alarm is to make you look at the gauge which then should have a lit symbol for volts or temp or whatever - Depending on which circuit failed in the reg/rect maybe the best it could do is just sound the alarm with no gauge hint to help you out.

The tach also gets it's signal from the charging coil and the reg/rect - Sometimes a tach that suddenly stops working for no apparent reason is a clue to check the charging system.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

Thread Information