Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Kawasaki 900zxi

PWCToday Newbie

Kawasaki 900zxi

Hi i have a Kawasaki, and i would like to know, if yours, have a very little hole, in the exhausted manifold to cool?
    The exhaust heats up a lot.
    And it wasnt supposed to leak water, by the exhaust?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Re: Kawasaki 900zxi

post a pic of what you are describing.the exhaust is not meant to leak any water into the hull ,only out the back.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

I dream skis

The odd thing about the ZXI's is an "extra" drain hose out the bottom of the muffler. It goes from there to a thru-hull fitting to discharge back by the jet pump. It is hard to see where it exits from the outside. Look from the inside. I think it is a vertical thru-hull pipe near the center-line of the hull. Most kawi's don't have this extra drain line. Working from memory here, but I think I'm right.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

PWCToday Newbie

Well, my husband thinks, ours dont have this "extra". But he will see again.
    I will try to resume the story.
    We are from Portugal, and my husband saw a nice deal in second hand, (i dont know how do you call) we bought a zXi 900 from 1995.
    When we came to home, he tried to turn it on. But it was entering water inside the engine. So he opened it. With a friend's help, they set it all again, and they found a hole in the exhausted manifold, that they closed.
    But his doubt is, is it normal to get water Out of the exhaust or not? Because before repairing, he dripped Water from the exhaust, but then, he never left again. He thinks strange leak Walter, but he's not a expert.
    The pic i copy from here, but its the same piece.

PWCToday Newbie

I dream skis

Welcome to the forum. Your English is good. Much better than my Portuguese.
    I mentioned the "extra" drain hose in case it was missing on your ski. If the hose was missing, it would leave a small hole exposed in the bottom of the exhaust pipe that would leak water inside the hull. Are you trying to run the ski in the water? Or are you trying to run it on the trailer using a water hose from your house? What do you mean by "water entering the engine"?? No water should leak from the engine or exhaust inside the hull. All water exits the hul through the bypass, the regular exhaust flow out of the rear of the ski, or out through the "extra" drain line that i mentioned above.

I dream skis

I am also having a little problem recognizing the pipe in your pic. It has the general shape of a 900ZXI, but the top end has a 90 degree bend that seems strange. But then you said the pic was not of your actual ski's pipe. So I'll disregard my concerns about that.

PWCToday Newbie

I mean, the problem of the ski, it was this... Like U said and very well, no water should leak from the engine, and That was the problem of the ski. I also helped my husband, and i saw, poor ski, all the components had salt, we change piston, and others things, but i dont know the names. But the ski was miserable...
    But before repairing, the water doesnt exhaust inside the hull... i Will trying to explain better. The ski have a hole to exit the smoke right, rear do the ski? And its from there That water exit.
    But after repairing he never see water exit again. And thats the doubt, the water should out only from the bypass and beside from the small hole right?
    Oh, and yes, we trying home.
    In my country the tax is 200 every year, and inspection is every 5 years and it cost more than 100. The register is more than 100. And we cant try the ski on the sea, to try we have to get the OK from navy, so if u repair the ski, and then u wuant to see the progress you cant, so how do u know if everything is ok to schedule the inspection? You dont, pray to God, and hope That's everything functional.

I dream skis

Your last post puts this in a whole new light. On a garden hose, with the motor running, the water exits out the bypass (we call that the 'pisser'), out the jetpump (going backward through the normal intake hose from the pump), out the small hose from the bottom of the exhaust pipe that exits into the area near the jetpump, but most of that cooling water DOES exit the rear exhaust hole along with the exhaust gasses. If the failure to see water exiting along with the exhaust gasses only began after the engine repairs, then you have a problem. The problem may simply be cooling water hose routing. Maybe some hoses are not where they should be. But it may be due to replacement of various gaskets. Some gaskets have holes for the water, but some may be installed backward, or in some way are blocking the water flow. Maybe some gasket sealant (silicone) was applied in excess and blocked a passage. If it was a saltwater ski, maybe excessive corrosion has blocked some passages. Start by examining all hoses. Flush water through each part of the cooling system, or temporarily break open a hose fitting to see where the water flow is OK, and where it fails to show up. Caution, always use this sequence for running on a home garden hose: Start Engine, Start water flow, Stop water flow, Stop engine. Otherwise you can flood water into the cylinders and seize the engine. A running engine will blow excess exhaust water out the back along with the gasses and prevent it from entering the crankcase or cylinders.

Thread Information