Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

js440 flywheel/timing question

I have to replace the crank and flywheel due to them being chewed up. My question is does it matter which flywheel I use in terms of the timing marks, my current flywheel is 21 degree. If i fit a 28 degree flywheel what does this do to the timing, or is the timing solely determined by the position of the stator

Re: js440 flywheel/timing question

More bottom end on 28' , that's the way to go , and of course stator timing is still adjustable , don't get too greedy on advancing timing if you want it dependable with pump gas

Bionic: I haven't researched it yet. But the stator has two slotted screw holes to allow the stator to be adjusted to increase or decrease timing.

How do you set the timing? I have an inductive timing light, but it occurs to me that I cannot adjust the stator while the engine is running because it will be covered by the flywheel.

The fact that the adjustment is going to be hidden by the flywheel has me confused.
    Learning Slowly...

Just line up the notched line on the stator plate with the with the cases where they come together. If you decide to advance the timing, i think 32 degrees is as much as it will go. On the older js 550s advancing all the way is recommended, but not on the 440s. With your flywheel that you have, your best bet would be to just line up the notch with the cases mark. Other people may have a different opinion on this, but i have had good results with what i suggested.

On those 2x4 skis it's all about bottom end , milled heads , advanced timing , 28' lightened flywheels , bored nozzles , 15' impellors , copper head gaskets , so to set timing dynamically you must be able to run engine with flywheel cover off , have a TDC dial indicator , and a degree wheel , and make a TDC indicator tool out of coat hanger wire , kind of like settin up a total loss MSD set up , and be able to get mount skrews loose so you can move stator to set timing , while engine is not running of course , through the slots on front of flywheel , so if you want to go through with all that stuff the benifit is minimal , stuff listed at top is a better option for bottom end , too much timing will kill top speed and get you into the detonation /seizure zone , be careful , those engines have a lot of squish .090 so you can get away with a lot of stuff , but run pump premium not regular for less failures and more tray time
    Last edited by Bionic racing; 10-27-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Thread Information