Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Re: 96 XP WOT only 6350 RPM's

Yes that is the water regulator the guys were describing earlier. Pop the top(don't loose that spring) and yank the center piece up out of it. Then you will see the rotten clamp on the bottom of the bellows they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    Yes that is the water regulator the guys were describing earlier. Pop the top(don't loose that spring) and yank the center piece up out of it. Then you will see the rotten clamp on the bottom of the bellows they were talking about.
    Ok, cool Matt! I called a local shop that works on Seadoo and he said he could sell me one off another seadoo used...would that be OK you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post
    Ditto --- smoke in hull will cause significant running problems due to lack of combustion oxygen. A malfunctioning water regulator will also stop your ski at near that rpm. Most common problem is the ferrous(rusty) spring clip that is used to hold the bottom of the diaphragm to the valve pokes a hole in the diaphragm and it leaks through. Then it will not work correctly to adjust water flow for peak rpm.
    Keep in mind I am fairly new to working on these machines but definitely want to learn how they tick...what about the water regulator leaking would cause the RPM's to drop. What part does it play in the efficiency of the engine?

I dream skis

The water regulator adjusts the proportion of water being injected between the water box and the head pipe. Changing the proportion of water helps the engine perform better through cooling the hot exhaust gasses down. Its a science. If the water pressure is leaking out of the chamber, it isn't pushing upward against the return spring, moving the diaphragm and thus the proportioning valve. You can replace it with a used part, but would be better to something to eliminate the problem in the future, too.

[QUOTE=rdjeep;4454556]The water regulator adjusts the proportion of water being injected between the water box and the head pipe. Changing the proportion of water helps the engine perform better through cooling the hot exhaust gasses down. Its a science. If the water pressure is leaking out of the chamber, it isn't pushing upward against the return spring, moving the diaphragm and thus the proportioning valve. You can replace it with a used part, but would be better to something to eliminate the problem in the future,

So how would I eliminate the problem in the future by doing a mod to it or getting a new regulator?

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Quote Originally Posted by Case1 View Post
    So how would I eliminate the problem in the future by doing a mod to it or getting a new regulator?
    You would eliminate the problem by reusing the good parts (i.e. rubber bellows and clamp) and using stainless steel safety wire like I suggested above. It's the cheapest and the easiest way to upgrade the carbon spring which will eventually rust away again. Unless you plan on racing the thing, there isn't a reason to "hard jet" the water box. If you haven't downloaded your service manual yet, DO IT! It has a section dedicated to explaining the RAVE valves and water regulator operation. In short, by injecting water into the exhaust pipe at a certain RPM band, it changes the density of the exhaust gas which changes the way the sound travels through the pipe. The sound wave helps move exhaust out and also helps to "pack" the incoming intake charge into the cylinder so you get more "bang" per stroke. There is also a "Racer's Handbook" that is floating out there on the web for 1996 that goes even further than the service manual.

The point: Don't just replace it with a used one unless you verify it by taking it apart and checking for a good spring. Also, a leaking or malfunctioning regulator will limit top end RPM, all other factors being equal. You have pulled your carbs and cleaned the internal filters, RIGHT??!?!?!?
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #2
    99XPL Runs like it's possessed! :

02RX Current project in-work, ready to be assembled.
    A BIG THANKS to Bill O' and Chris at Watercraft Magic for putting together an excellent re-jetting and Prok filter kit for the XPL.
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpitAndDirt View Post
    You would eliminate the problem by reusing the good parts (i.e. rubber bellows and clamp) and using stainless steel safety wire like I suggested above. It's the cheapest and the easiest way to upgrade the carbon spring which will eventually rust away again. Unless you plan on racing the thing, there isn't a reason to "hard jet" the water box. If you haven't downloaded your service manual yet, DO IT! It has a section dedicated to explaining the RAVE valves and water regulator operation. In short, by injecting water into the exhaust pipe at a certain RPM band, it changes the density of the exhaust gas which changes the way the sound travels through the pipe. The sound wave helps move exhaust out and also helps to "pack" the incoming intake charge into the cylinder so you get more "bang" per stroke. There is also a "Racer's Handbook" that is floating out there on the web for 1996 that goes even further than the service manual.

The point: Don't just replace it with a used one unless you verify it by taking it apart and checking for a good spring. Also, a leaking or malfunctioning regulator will limit top end RPM, all other factors being equal. You have pulled your carbs and cleaned the internal filters, RIGHT??!?!?!?
    I actually have the thick hard copy owners manual I got from the guy I bought the ski from and he emailed me the racing one. I will read reads read! I mainly like to jump big waves but if they have racing in Texas I would love to do that also. I will take your advice on the parts. Yes, I have a newly rebuilt engine from SES (high performance rebuild) and rebuilt the carbs also.

OK, so when I took the water reg apart I didn't notice any holes in the bellow and there was a little bit of rust but not much but that little screw, which I assume holds the metal rind next to it together,IMG_3751.jpg was floating around inside the regulator.

Could that be the problem and the regulator still be good?

On further inspection of this black piece, which I guess is the bellow, there are some metal remnants (to the right in pic). Did there use to be a metal ring around the smaller part of the bellow? And it is rusted around that smaller part.
    IMG_3752.jpg
    Last edited by Case1; 10-27-2017 at 03:38 PM.

If bellows have no holes wire it up and go

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information