Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

96 XP WOT only 6350 RPM's

So I was out jumping some really big waves yesterday and the thing was running great! I went to ride today on smooth water and I noticed that the RPM's were in the 6300's and the free GPS app (Speed Box) was only showing 47 mph tops.

I recently rebuilt the carbs and have a newly rebuilt engine. It's not hesitating off the start and the engine seems to be running smoothly.

Any suggestions on what I might check?

Casey

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Re: 96 XP WOT only 6350 RPM's

Are the rave valves stuck? Also try riding with the seat off and look for water spraying from somewhere (water regulator on the waterbox and headpipe to exhaust mani gasket are common places)or exhaust smoke in the hull.

How do you tell if they are stuck? Sheesh, I only have 15 hours on this newly rebuilt engine. I know that they were shaved down on the rebuild. I will also check the other things you mentioned

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

They should not be stuck at 15 hrs even if you were running cheap oil and too much of it. To check push the wire retaining clip back off the black rave cap with your thumbs and be carful not to drop the spring underneath. Then you can grab the circle part(bellows over a rave piston) and slide in and out, or at least you should be able to.

Thanks, Matt! I will check them tomorrow just to make sure they are not stuck. I only run Seadoo Synthetic. Just curious...what would cause smoke in the hull?

Also, what RPM's should I be getting with this engine on WOT? It is the high-performance rebuild from Seadoo Engine Shop.
    Last edited by Case1; 10-25-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Smoke in the hull would mean an exhaust leak. Check and tighten all the exhaust joints and hoses. Exhaust leaks result in a drop in performance.

Thanks, JC!
    Last edited by Case1; 10-25-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JC-SuperJet View Post
    Smoke in the hull would mean an exhaust leak. Check and tighten all the exhaust joints and hoses. Exhaust leaks result in a drop in performance.
    Ditto --- smoke in hull will cause significant running problems due to lack of combustion oxygen. A malfunctioning water regulator will also stop your ski at near that rpm. Most common problem is the ferrous(rusty) spring clip that is used to hold the bottom of the diaphragm to the valve pokes a hole in the diaphragm and it leaks through. Then it will not work correctly to adjust water flow for peak rpm.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post
    A malfunctioning water regulator will also stop your ski at near that rpm. Most common problem is the ferrous(rusty) spring clip that is used to hold the bottom of the diaphragm to the valve pokes a hole in the diaphragm and it leaks through. Then it will not work correctly to adjust water flow for peak rpm.
    I will have to find some pictures, but I used stainless steel safety wire to replace the carbon steel spring clip. I didn't tie the wire too tight, just enough to give good clamping pressure.

+1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #2
    99XPL Runs like it's possessed! :

02RX Current project in-work, ready to be assembled.
    A BIG THANKS to Bill O' and Chris at Watercraft Magic for putting together an excellent re-jetting and Prok filter kit for the XPL.
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

First off, thanks for y'alls help.

Here is what I saw when I road it just a minute ago. Is this the water regulator on top of the water box? Water was leaking out of the bottom of it. I didn't notice any smoke, although I didn't ride it long enough really to see.
    IMG_3743.jpg
    Last edited by Case1; 10-26-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information