Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

STX-15F vs 900STX

I'm thinking of upgrading my 1998 900STX to a 2017 STX-15F, a local dealer is selling them for about $1500 under MSRP. I know the 15F is about 200 lbs heavier than the 900STX but it has 60 more hp and I'd also be giving up the trim system.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some more insight on the 15F.

Does the extra hp make up for the weight gain?

How is the low to mid-range torque? I'm not too concerned about top speed the 900STX does about 45mph and that was plenty for me. I like the get up and go. I mostly fish from it, jump wakes, and pull the wife and kid around on a tube or wakeboard.

How reliable are the new 4 stroke engines?

How much maintenance do they require?

How is handling?

I would like a newer ski but I love how easy these old 2 strokes are to work on. It's fairly cheap and inexpensive to pull the engine and rebuild it. Everything is also straight forward and there isn't very much electronics to worry about. At the same time if these new ones are reliable and don't require that much maintenance then that positive would be pretty much null and void.

Basically any information you can give me to help out my decision would be great. Thanks

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: STX-15F vs 900STX

I've ridden, maintained, and rebuilt both. First off, everybody is under this unrealistic impression that the new 4 stroke machines require less/no maintenance. This couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, they require more maintenance ie, oil regular oil changes. And if maintained properly, have already proven to be reliable.
    Now then, as for handling, and overall power feel, great! Yes, its heavier but it doesn't feel heavier. It will also outpull, and outrun the 900. The engine and electronics are much more complicated and it makes it tougher to diy, but not impossible. You can also expect for each similar repair it will cost twice as much as the old 900.
    If you're ok with the upfront cost, and you dont mind spending a couple hundred on maintenance every season, i say go for it!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

as above +1 , they are both nice skis , both reliable , the 15 f is the SUV of jet skis , dont expect it to handle like a sport car they are more like a sport SUV ,you wont be dissapointed if you choose to pull the pin and buy the new ski !
    Last edited by hyosung; 10-17-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

I wrestled with the same decision - Keep the reliable easy and cheap to fix 05 STX900 or go 4 stroke - Experimented with buying and selling a few 4 stroke Seadoos but always went back to the 05 2 stroke - Few weeks ago I bought a 2016 Yamaha V1 sport with the new 3 cylinder T1 motor - Got it from a rental co with 325 hours - Have put 20 hours on it and think it will be a keeper - My son wouldn't let me sell the STX so it is his now.

Comparison of the 2 stroke 100hp 664lb STX with 4 stroke 115HP 681lb V1 sport - The biggest difference between the 2 is the fuel injection vs carbs - The V1 feels twice as powerful due to the instant throttle response of computerized fuel injection - it's like driving a V8 verses a v6 - accelerating out of turns or pulling a tube the fuel injection blows away the carb model - Also nice not to have the 2 stroke exhaust / oil smell and smoke even though the STX was not bad due to variable oil pump - No need to choke or prolonged cranking needed if it's been sitting all week - Just touch the start button for a second or 2 and it fires up almost instantly - I also use my skis for fishing and long periods of trolling at idle are easier on the 4 stroke plugs - Both are comparable as far as handling and the V1 is only a little faster than the STX - 53 / 50 which is all I need - The V1sport has mirrors / reverse / boarding step all of which I use - It does not have electronic reverse / brakes or steering assist or trim or any of the other extra breakable dodads being added to newer models - Oil change kit with Yamaha oil and filter was $35 plus my manual siphon labor

There is no question in my mind that the 4 stroke will be much harder to repair and much more expensive simply because it has many more moving parts and much more electronics playing near water - The question will be how often will it happen??? Being I started out with 325 hours, now 355, I should know sooner than most??? - So far I am impressed with my new to me 4 stroke T1

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

Stx900 is so awesome, instead of pulling engine for cyl R&r I threw it on thee trash pile, best move its made yet

Thanks for all the responses they were very helpful. I'm going to head to the dealer this weekend and hopefully pick one up. I'll probably be keeping the 900 just because I can. It never hurts to have an extra for the wife and kid.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Ragged Edge Racing's Avatar

Let me correct some previous statements. The 15F is 160hp, not 115. And the 15F is what Craig Warner won a World Championship on so it can be made to handle. The 15F will out accelerate and out top end the 900 by a long shot. That said, I'm not sure the 15f would be my boat of choice if I were getting a new sitdown. Not my thing but I would do some research although the price tag of some of these new boats are getting out of control.

The 15f is an older design hull compared to other brands, but its a very reliable ski & is priced at or less than skis with less of an engine. change the oil once a year & spark plugs every 2 or 3 years is all that I do. The low & midrange power is incredible, if you are happy with the power of the 900, you will be amazed with a 15F, it also runs best on the cheap fuel too. It will also be more stable & handle better than your 98. Top speed is 60-61 gps & you will use no more fuel than the 900 & if you are only running it at 45-50 you will use less.

Thanks, hopefully everything will go as planned and I'll be picking one up Saturday.

I picked it up Thursday then went out of town for the weekend and haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I'm going to head to the lake after work. Got it for $9100 with TTL and the other fees so I'm pretty happy with the deal.
    Last edited by Tone; 10-30-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information