Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

750sx: Drive shaft seals and coupling cover

Couple quick questions on the 750sx drive shaft:

• Are the two cover pieces that bolt to the block over the coupling necessary? I have one ski with them and one without.
    • Do the shaft bearings and seals where it passes through the hull commonly go bad? Is there a quick pass/fail check? If the engine is already pulled, is it something worth changing as preventative maintenance?

Anything else worth doing while the engine is out of the ski? The only other item on my list is to remove the water drain valve, since I hear that's highly recommended to do.

cover.png

I dream skis

Re: 750sx: Drive shaft seals and coupling cover

The shields are not necessary to make the ski run normally. They are there for personnel safety so you don't get hair, sleeves, rags, or fingers caught in the coupling. And they might keep the engine running if the hull takes on some water. The coupling will 'sling' that water all over when it is deep enough.... causing electrical misfire or water ingestion into the carbs. But you already know those aren't common problems from the your ski that doesn't have 'em.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

I dream skis

Re: 750sx: Drive shaft seals and coupling cover

Carrier bearings do go bad. Sometimes it is just water leakage. Sometimes it is bad bearings. Spin the shaft/bearing by hand to feel for looseness or binding. Replace if suspect... or replace as prevention if it is old.
    Check all hoses and tubes in the hull that are hard to access with the motor in place. Gas, Cooling, Bilge, Pisser, etc. Check any soft spots in the hull that might need fiberglass repair done from the inside.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

Thread Information