Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

New X2 owner and member

Hi all,

First off, thank you for letting me join.

So as a few days ago I picked up an ‘89 X2 for sub $500. It was very dirty as it had been sitting outside under trees for probably months under a tarp. (Still finding roaches crawling around it.) However, everything seemed to be there and not much messed with so decided to take it home.

Once it was home and in daylight the next day, I noticed it had already been chopped a little off the back and the oil tank has been taken out but that was about it. After that, it was time to look inside.

It wouldn’t start while it was at his house. He was claiming it was the battery, even with jumpers, because the solenoid would just click, but when he bypassed the solenoid by putting the jumper cable directly to the starter cable, it was turning over. (But he wasn’t wrong about the battery being dead.) It nearly started up but wouldn’t, but we didn’t try long. Checked compression and both were between 130-135 so it was good enough for me. At home, put in new battery and to no surprise still clicking. Took solenoid apart and noticed a post was loose. Tightened it up and put it back together. Boom, she was turning over. Choked her a little bit and fired right up. Haven’t done anything since.

I have been out twice now at a lake right across the street and she feels great. Starts up immediately. No issues. No studdering. No overheating. Life is good... For now. Not sure if dirtbike experience helped, but I was able to atleast ride around and get a little low. But definitely not comfortable yet, still lots to learn.

Sorry for the long introduction of myself and ski, I am just very excited. Any advice and tips would be much appreciated. Entirely new to the world of PWCs.

Same seller also has another X2 that has a 750 in it and wants $150 but the haul was full of water so still deciding. Opinions on that?

Thanks for your time,
    Ben

(Pics coming as soon as they successfully transfer to my computer)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: New X2 owner and member

Welcome to the site and the X2 addiction. Nice find. It looks like the engine case drain has been removed because the pull handle isn't showing on the bracket (black U shaped thing near the exhaust expansion chamber). Trust me, you don't want a case drain.

I'd definitely grab that $150 X2 -- if it comes with a title it's almost impossible to go wrong at that price. It may need a new crankshaft (due to rusted bearings on the crank) and new wrist pin bearings, but you may be surprised at how little else it may need. 750 conversions give the X2 the power it requires for some serious fun.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks linkman for the warm welcome and encouraging words about my ski. And if the case drain is that black circular plastic handle on a tube running down, it is still there just moved. So I’m assuming something around there has been messed with and he wasn’t able to put it back properly. (Its top right of the u-shaped hook in the picure.) Going by what you said, I now plan to remove as soon as I can. Does it just clog up over time or..? I’m sure there is a post about it and how to take it off so I will be looking into that.

That other X2 was titled so I’m definitely more tempted. I will hopefully be selling a gopro soon for about the same price so maybe once that is done, I’ll go get it.

Thanks again.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

The case drain knob pulls a cable that is attached to the case drain at the bottom of the engine. The problem with it is the rubber seals on it deteriorate over time which leads to an air leak which causes engine destruction from going lean. They are usually blocked off to prevent this. There are several ways to do it. The favorite is probably to buy a block off kit that is somewhat similar to the oil injection block off kit.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

Gotcha.. Thanks!

Welcome!
    2017 Kawasaki SXR 1500
    2013 Yamaha Super Jet-HighSpeed Industries Limited
    2011 Kawasaki SXR 800

I wish I cud find something like that for 500 bucks. Where I'm at everyone thinks ur stuff is worth gold even if it was put out u deer trees. Good luck and welcome

91 440/650 conversion
    91 550sx/650conversion
    Past skis
    86 X2(donor motor)
    88 650sx(donor motor)

Thread Information