Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Js550

PWCToday Regular

Js550

Might pick up a js550 with even compression 120. Says it won’t stay running, and needs a carb adjustment. $450 is this any good? Might part it out.

Re: Js550

Depends on the state of the rest of the ski. Compression is a good indicator, but there are a whole host of things that wear out and must be tended to. Crank seals, impeller, pump housing, etc. $450 Is a decent price for a 550.

PWCToday Regular

Might buy it and part it out. Comes with pipes and stuff. Was thinking I'd probably be able to make most of my money back with the engine. Not sure though.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by bendaggs View Post
    Might buy it and part it out. Comes with pipes and stuff. Was thinking I'd probably be able to make most of my money back with the engine. Not sure though.
    I wouldn't buy a used engine at 120psi.....its just about dead. oh ya, and "needs carbs adjusted" means I don't know what the F@#K is wrong with it!...So many things it could be, a F'd up engine being one of them (crank seals, air leak, etc)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

120psi is not bad especially if its dead even

If it has a stock head, then 120 psi is really good. I have a reed engine with a Newmiller recreational milled head @168psi. Of course you can't tell that it is milled, it just looks like a stock head. That's kind of the gotcha. If the head is milled it could be 'down' 40 psi and in need of a rebuild. If it has an untouched head then it has good compression and the only concern will be the crank and crank seals' condition. Crank seals can be changed without taking the rest of the engine apart. While the crank case is open you can also assess the crank bearings.

You can also inspect the cylinder walls by removing the intake manifold. You can see the side of the piston and the exhaust side of the cylinder wall.

Bob

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

If the rest of it is in good shape then i say thats a good deal. 120 is great for a stock js550.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Regular

my bad, sorry to give wrong info... I had a 750 that had 120psi and it barely fired up before I rebuilt it, maybe the 550s need less psi, or maybe my gauge is busted.....LIke I always say to the nagging wife, A man can never have too many jetskis! so go buy it...lol

Fun fact, do you know why us Canadians love have sex doggy style? So we can both watch the hockey game eh!

Thread Information