User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

07 GTI 4TEC STD Rough, Shaking thru 3300RPM, eventually luches to 4400 and smooth

Greetings! 2007 GTI 4TEC STD 130 runs extremely rough in idle with significant shaking (approx 1700 RPM). When demanding more with the throttle, the engine hesitates and hangs roughly in the 2200-3300 range varying randomly in that range with roughness. This when demanding more from the throttle. Eventually, it'll momentarily break free, lurch and accelerate to 4400, the cut back down to the 2200-3300 range. Eventually, it'll lurch and cut back more frequently and then let loose to 4400 then operate smoothly up to 5300-5500 with the RPM LCD display flickering at the top end. Couldn't get more than 5500 as a top RPM. Its sister GTI tops at 7200. When I reduce the throttle, the behavior happens in the same ranges all the way to idle. This behavior is repeatable at the same RPM ranges consistently. This test was in the water. I welcome any thoughts and recommendations and thank you in advance.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 07 GTI 4TEC STD Rough, Shaking thru 3300RPM, eventually luches to 4400 and smooth

Ive seen this a couple times and both times ended up being ecu problems. If they are both 07 gti then your in luck cause you can swap parts for testing purposes. Start with the basics, new spark plugs and compression check, also make sure the oil looks normal. If all that checks out then i would check out the coils next. They commonly fail and are easy enough to swap with the other ski. My gut feeling is the ecu, if you swap it you will also need the lanyard that matches it.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 07 GTI 4TEC STD Rough, Shaking thru 3300RPM, eventually luches to 4400 and smooth

Great advice...thank you. Interestingly enough, the ECU was replaced on this PWC after I test rode the sister jet ski and the previous owner had issues (this problem ski) while riding along side. I bought both vehicles after the repair without testing both (my fault). I discovered a large granite rock in the jet pump after I bought the ski so in retrospect, I don't know how the replaced ECU was tested during the repair. I know the ECU was indeed replaced because I found a cardboard box containing an ECU in the forward storage box area. I have zero faith the repair was successfully completed because the storage box itself was left at the shop and there were tools still left in the boat; not to mention the jet pump obstruction). Very unprofessional. I'm trying to reach out to the previous owner to see if the symptoms he experienced during the demo ride are the same as the current problem. I just spent three months personality repairing the jet pump (new impeller, pump bearings, carbon ring, etc.) so this is the first time I actually ran the ski.

Frequent Poster

Always change plugs in a n/a 4tec first they burn clean. I have seen more than 1 have spark pick up and fall off.

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you. I bought the plugs and I'll be installing them this weekend. Hoping for the best.

PWCToday Newbie

Solved! It was the plugs...sweet! Thanks for all the help!

Thread Information