Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Drain Plug

Drain Plug

I took the SJ out this weekend for the first time and I had a blast. I had no idea learning to ride it was going to be so difficult, it's probably going to be a long time before I'm actually good at it. Right now I'm working on preventing it from porpoising I cannot get that under control once I'm at speed. I think I just need to distribute my weight differently.

Anyway after a day on the water were was about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the hull. No big deal that's about on par for what's in the bottom of my sit downs. However there isn't a drain plug to get it all out I had to wait until I got home to use a shop-vac and some rags.

Is it ok to drill a hole in the back of the hull and add a drain plug? Will that even work? Sorry I've done a search and only found references to adding a bilge pump. That's something I plan on adding over the winter do drain it while I'm on the water but I'm looking at for a fail safe when it's out of the water.

Re: Drain Plug

I don't know what year you have. Early square nose bilge needs to be upgraded. There is usually a little water in, 1/4" okay, 1/2" maybe not. I have a siphon that works off my air compressor for when I get home, I don't want to promote condensation while sitting in the garage, keep hood cracked open.
    Porpoising, what year? Aftermarket ride plate, intake etc will help but it will also take years to really learn to ride. Thats part of the fun, I guess.
    Drain plug, honestly I am not sure if there is a straight shot for water to run out or is the foam on the way? All my skis have rule automatic bilge (kicks in every 20 seconds to sense for water) for those times in waves maybe taking in a little to much water, also when newbie friends or family take out they can have the ski on its side more than upright. I just flip the switch & send them out. Enjoy, Steve C.

It's a 91 Squarenose. I don't have an issue using the shop vac when I get home. Probably won't get so much water in it once I learn to ride better. I fell a lot that first day. I'll just install a bilge pump and call it a day. I'm not sure if there is a straight shot either.

It's completely stock. The ride plate is adjustable I was thinking of trying to adjust that but I decided to take it out a few more times to get a better feel for it.

If you go with a longer ride plate it will help greatly.
    I have a 91 as well. If the bilge setup coming off of the nozzle is stock you would definitely absolutely want to convert it over to a later model setup, they plug up super easy. Look at a buddys round nose if you can. Won't cost much. Just remove the old gobbleegook setup from the back of the nozzle, drill a hole in the nozzle, jb weld a piece of small piece of brass tubing from the hardware store which will go to the hose through the hull to replicate how a roundness setup works. Maybe some one has a drawing? Electric bilge is great but you still want the factory bilge to do 99 percent of the work. I can always take a picture of mine. Steve C
    Last edited by Steve C; 10-05-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Thread Information