Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

96 SeaDoo SPX carb issues

I purchased a pair of 96 Seadoos from my mother in law. Both were sitting for a long time and needed to the Carbs rebuilt. When I rebuilt the GTI, I only replaced the gaskets and Diaphrams. And it runs like a champ. The SPX had a lot of corrosion in the carbs. So I ordered the correct Needle and Seats called out in the manual, and had to change the springs. Since then I have had numerous issues. I have rebuilt the carbs 3 times on the SPX with no luck. Currently I have the original needle and seat and springs. It idles great, but will not accelerate in the water. The pop off is suppose to be 40-56. It pops off at 53-55. According to the Mikuni manual, idle with no acceleration is too high pop off pressure. The manual called out the gold spring. When I put that in, its hard starting, and barely idles. The motor (717) was recently rebuilt, and has 150 compression. I even took the carbs off the GTI, and mounted them on the SPX, and it runs like a bat out of hell. I did purchase a set of dual carbs from Ebay, and they were listed as coming off an 96 SP. But everything I read, says and SP is a single carb on a 583. Can someone help me out on this one.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Re: 96 SeaDoo SPX carb issues

So let's begin from the start...

1.) Any grey Temp fuel lines present?
    2.) '96 SPX 717cc calls for a 1.2 Needle/Seats(I would replace them only with genuine Mikuni if you haven't already)
    3.) Main Jet is a 130; Pilot Jet is 67.5
    4.) Are all the bypass holes clear of debris?
    5.) I believe you need the black 80g spring to lower the pop off pressure. The Gold spring is a 115g spring
    6.) Ensure all corrosion has been removed and cleaned out
    7.) Is the fulcrum arm flush with the valve body?
    8.) Pressure test to 10 psi for any leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at first you don't succeed...

Then you're NOT Chuck Norris!

96 SP had a 587 motor with a single carb. 1996 SPX is the same as the 95 XP with 717 motor and dual carbs. You have narrowed down that carbs are your problem you just need to see if you can get that other set correct. Go back through again and check everything. Make sure the carbs are as clean as you can get them and that you spray carb cleaner and compressed air through every needle hole, return orifice, etc. Also verify with the pressure checks that you have no leaks. Carbs can have warped fuel pump cover pieces that do not seal. Make sure you verify everything and go back to stock settings and components.

Check that all gaskets surfaces are clean and burr free. I use a fine tubular stainless steel brush when cleaning the grooves and other carb areas. Make sure the adjusting screw needles are clean and have a new o-ring. I always install with synthetic grease on the o-ring at the sealing surfaces. This helps prevent corrosion and provides for better o-ring life. Install a new o-ring on the seat and verify during pop off and no leaks with WD-40. This will verify that the needle/set and the o-ring sealing area around the seat do not leak.

High pop -off setups on skis are very touchy. When possible I setup with components for a lower pop off setting and the same fuel delivery.
    Last edited by hafweigthr; 10-03-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: more information
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Newbie

Ill try to reply to both posts. No gray fuel lines, all high and low jets are back to original. 10 psi with no leaks on drop down. fulcrum is set correct to fuel body. and all orifices are clean. New Orings on low speed needle, and needle and seat are tight as a virgin on prom night. I will try the black spring, since gold seems high. Im just puzzled how a gold spring can pop off at 40 psi. and a 80g spring will pop off at 50psi. Sounds bass *** backwards to me.
    The 2 carbs I bought on Ebay look real good. Once I get off work, Im going to rebuild them, and test them. If they solve my problem Ill just put the other ones up for sale on Ebay. Since I have a few other parts I need to sell.
    I will post the results of my test, and I will keep you posted.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

It's possible that the gold spring is weak or defective.

Is it damaged, corroded or modified in any way?

Also you said that the N/S valves are new and that's good. But are they genuine Mikuni needle/seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at first you don't succeed...

Then you're NOT Chuck Norris!

PWCToday Newbie

Sorry for the delay. So I received my carbs from EBay. They were in great shape. So I bought 2 new rebuild kits, and only replaced the gaskets. Kept everything else. Readjusted the low end needle and installed. Now it runs like a bat out of hell. Outrun my GTI at only 3/4 throttle.
    So now it's time get the others cleaned up, and posted on EBay. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thread Information