Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

02 ZXI 1100 Pump Maintenance

I had posted about what felt like a slipping "clutch" and just not a lot of pull from my "new' ski, and it was suggested that I do an inspection on the impeller and wear ring. I pulled everything off over the weekend and brought it to work to inspect.

The gap between the impeller and the wear ring is .6mm+, and the wear ring itself is measuring just a hair under 148mm. That puts the wear ring where it should be, but the gap at the service limit. It looks like it's time for a new impeller. I was looking at sbt.com and their impeller remanufacturing deal, but it sounds like they won't touch an aluminum impeller, which is what it appears came stock on this ski, so I'm going to be on the search for a replacement impeller. I'll probably stick with a stock-ish pitch, as I'm not really trying to go too crazy with the ski at all, just play and have fun on it.

Additionally, though the wear ring measures out ok, it looks a bit rough (pictures) and scratched. Once I get the impeller out, I'll do another measurement of the wear right, to make sure it's not conical shaped. If it still measures out ok, what should I do about the scratches? Leave them? Buff them out with....something? (I'm thinking scotch brite pads to start with).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 02 ZXI 1100 Pump Maintenance

Unless that impeller is VERY light, It would most likely be stainless steel. Personally you are taking the pump apart to the point where replacing the wear ring is easiest to do, Why not replace the wear ring? They can be bought for ~ $60.00. Then there will be no question left in your mind.
    1998 ZXI 1100 Red
    2001 SeaDoo GTS Sold
    1998 ZXI 1100 yellow ...coming soon
    1994 Polaris SL750 $50 I couldn't help myself!

I suffer from JOCD!
    Jet-ski Obsessive compulsive disorder

Quote Originally Posted by a1cnc View Post
    Unless that impeller is VERY light, It would most likely be stainless steel. Personally you are taking the pump apart to the point where replacing the wear ring is easiest to do, Why not replace the wear ring? They can be bought for ~ $60.00. Then there will be no question left in your mind.
    I would replace the wear ring, but I've yet to find a decent how-to on it, other than "it's a real pain in the butt". Even the shop manual doesn't tell how to do it. It just says "replace it."

Well,
    This is what I know of how to replace it,
    There is a small phillips screw on the side of the pump, remove that. Then take a dremel or other rotary tool with a cutoff wheel and cut through the stainless liner length wise. This will allow you to easily remove the old liner. Next clean up the inside real well with a wire wheel on your rotary tool of choice. Then a thin coat of waterproof grease will help. Next press the new liner in. It is best to use a press of some sort but you could probably make something up with a long threaded rod some nuts and wood/ metal plates.
    Hope that helps some.
    1998 ZXI 1100 Red
    2001 SeaDoo GTS Sold
    1998 ZXI 1100 yellow ...coming soon
    1994 Polaris SL750 $50 I couldn't help myself!

I suffer from JOCD!
    Jet-ski Obsessive compulsive disorder

That sounds simple enough. I've heard that it may be necessary to heat/freeze the parts to get them together, too.

If you heat the outer and freeze the inner it will go together easier

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I dream skis

If it were my ski, and my interest was merely some recreational zipping about, I would simply dress off the leading edges and get it back in the water.
    I am not a perfectionist, just a practical, low budget jetskier. The wear gap is only marginally wider than specs. I doubt the average rider would even detect any "slippage" with that pump. And I would get advice from someone who has actually relined a Kawi pump before I decided it would be worth the aggravation of completing that process at home. (It is NOT easy, but yes, it is doable if you really need it.). But do feel the bearings for smoothness or looseness.
    If you sense a major "slippage", I would look for air leaks at the pump seals. And check the intake grate for blockage or bent parts.
    Just my opinion... do as little or as much overhaul work as you feel justified for your particular situation.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    If it were my ski, and my interest was merely some recreational zipping about, I would simply dress off the leading edges and get it back in the water.
    I am not a perfectionist, just a practical, low budget jetskier. The wear gap is only marginally wider than specs. I doubt the average rider would even detect any "slippage" with that pump. And I would get advice from someone who has actually relined a Kawi pump before I decided it would be worth the aggravation of completing that process at home. (It is NOT easy, but yes, it is doable if you really need it.). But do feel the bearings for smoothness or looseness.
    If you sense a major "slippage", I would look for air leaks at the pump seals. And check the intake grate for blockage or bent parts.
    Just my opinion... do as little or as much overhaul work as you feel justified for your particular situation.
    What pump seals should I be looking at?

The intake grate looks fine with no damage anywhere.

I do plan to replace the bearings since I have the whole assembly out.
    Last edited by camper4lyfe; 10-03-2017 at 02:43 PM.

I dream skis

Be sure there is no way that any air can get into the front of the pump. You want only water from the intake grate to enter the pump. The bracket that the pump bolts onto is itself mounted to the hull with sealant smeared around its mating surfaces to the hull. Look for gaps or mis-alignment of that bracket mounting edges. Then there is a round doughnut shaped rubber gasket between that bracket and the front of the pump. Be sure that is in good shape.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    Be sure there is no way that any air can get into the front of the pump. You want only water from the intake grate to enter the pump. The bracket that the pump bolts onto is itself mounted to the hull with sealant smeared around its mating surfaces to the hull. Look for gaps or mis-alignment of that bracket mounting edges. Then there is a round doughnut shaped rubber gasket between that bracket and the front of the pump. Be sure that is in good shape.
    Thanks. I'll take a look when I put it back together in the spring.

As far as I know, the ski has never been apart, so I doubt there were any leaks, and the rubber donut was well stuck and sealed when I pulled the pump off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information