Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

98 XL760 Starter/Electrical Help Needed

Howdy All,

Long time no post. I just purchased a 98 XL760 from a neighbor and it's a super clean ski! Except now I have a problem. It won't start. Some background info: The day I bought it the seller had a hard time starting it and said his battery was drained. So after the battery was charged he started it which enabled me to take it out for a test ride. Everything went well the rest of the day. That was last Sun. Today I tried to fire it up and got a click coming from the electrical panel located just rear of the engine. So I figured the battery was old and wasn't up to starting the engine. I pulled a good battery out of my Waveraider 1100 and installed it. I hit the starter button and now I get a loud buzz from the electrical panel. I wondered if I was having a problem with the starter solenoid. I removed the electrical panel and opened it up. The buzz is definately coming from the starter solenoid. I jumped the two large terminals on the starter solenoid and the starter can be heard spinning but the engine isn't turning over. I pulled the PTO shield off and rotated the engine by hand with the plugs out. Tried it again by jumping the starter solenoid and got the same thing, nothing. I ran a jumper cable from the neg side of the battery and ground it to the engine block to rule out a bad ground and got the same thing, nothing.

Does this sound like a bad starter? Solenoid? or both? In the event the starter is going out, how easy is it to replace. I can't see it! Anything else I should test? By the way I have 14V to one side of the starter solenoid and when I hit the start button it drops to 7V. It doesn't appear the other larger terminal is getting voltage when I hit the starter button. I am only getting voltage to one post on the starter solenoid.

As always your comments and help are greatly appreciated.

Hec
    95 Wave Raider 1100
    With:
    GP 1200 five deg nozzle
    R&D Intake grate (Looks like stock with 2 bars cut out)
    R&D Ride Plate (Short one) Flush with the back of the hull.
    Solas YD-SC-I (13-19) Impeller
    Jet Trim Splash Guard

Carbs have 1.2 N&S, 80 Gram spring #1 & #2, 95 gram spring #3
    Mikuni BN44/164 valve body assemblies installed.
    Fuel pump covers return orifices drilled and 95 jet installed in last nipple out to tank.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 98 XL760 Starter/Electrical Help Needed

Your starter solenoid sounds shot since you dont get voltage on the other side. But, the voltage drop (only on one side) makes me think loose connection or bad ground. If the solenoid is not passing voltage then there would be no current draw to pull the battery voltage down. Get the battery load tested and/or make sure its fully charged and try again.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Your starter solenoid sounds shot since you dont get voltage on the other side. But, the voltage drop (only on one side) makes me think loose connection or bad ground. If the solenoid is not passing voltage then there would be no current draw to pull the battery voltage down. Get the battery load tested and/or make sure its fully charged and try again.
    Ok Will Do! I will have both my batteries load tested and I will report back!

Thanks again!

Hec
    95 Wave Raider 1100
    With:
    GP 1200 five deg nozzle
    Jet Trim Splash Guard

Fuel pump covers return orifices drilled and 95 jet installed in last nipple out to tank.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Hec in Omaha View Post
    Ok Will Do! I will have both my batteries load tested and I will report back!

Thanks again!

Hec
    Update! My batt was toast. I replaced the battery with a new one and hit the start button. Boom! It cranks again! You were right! Winner winner chicken dinner! Thanks for your your spot on diagnosis!

Hec
    95 Wave Raider 1100
    With:
    GP 1200 five deg nozzle
    Jet Trim Splash Guard

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Sometimes the simplest of things gets overlooked. Ive had skis dropped off for repair work that were only out of gas!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thread Information