Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Weak Starter - or something else?

I got a '92 Seadoo SP at estate auction but I did have a chance to visit with the seller. The engine is rebuilt with only 2 hrs on it. He says he ran it and then it sat in his workshop for 2 yrs. Thought it would only need a battery and carb cleaned out. The carb was not very gummy. I pulled the fuel tank and emptied out the fuel and debris. The intake and carb has corrosion so he must not have sprayed it down when he deactivated it. He said he didn't winterize it because he kept it inside. Okay... Last couple winters in TX have not been harsh so I bit.

The coupling between the engine and shaft have bite marks like a pipe wrench on it. I could not move the coupling by hand. So before I put the carb back on, I pulled the plugs and sprayed some Sta--Bil foaming oil in the top and into the carb. I hooked up jumper cables to a 550 CA deep cycle boat battery and it spun slowly at first and then full starter speed after that so I suspect it was completely dry inside. I put a compression tester into one side and tried to crank it but it barely spins. It seems to hit a couple of compression strokes and then stalls.

The cables are warm to the touch. The ground cable has 0 resistance so I'm ruling that out for now. I'm wondering if I have a bad starter, solenoid, or if the jet pump is a little stiff. I've never done maintenance on a jet pump before. I just ordered a battery, knowing that they only last a couple years but I'll use it also on the ATV I'm repairing in the meantime to keep it charged up and exercised.

I've got the brain box out and I'm going to jump across the solenoid to eliminate that from the equation first. I have a weekend or two of warm weather left to ride with my kids if I can get this starter problem whipped fast enough. Otherwise, I'll leave the fuel system dry and start fresh next spring. What advice do some of you experienced wrenchers have for me, mainly about the symptoms and priority of chasing the starter or jet pump?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: Weak Starter - or something else?

Rear flywheel should turn freely with plugs out it not starter will drag,find out which one is dragging.....

PWCToday Newbie

And what is the fastest way to find that out? I see a pin in the coupling. Drive that out and then spin the shaft inside the coupling? See if the pump shaft is binding? I don't know what it should feel like. Firm at all or free spinning?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

"turn freely"

PWCToday Newbie

Can I get it all apart enough to tell the free turning without any special tools? Should I take the pump off the back or try just unpinning the coupling? Is the fit between the shaft and coupling sloppy enough to feel the shaft turns freely?

PWCToday Newbie

That's not a pin to drive out of the flywheel, it's a broken grease fitting. So how do you test how free the drive shaft spins? It's captive on both ends. What seals am I going to need to have at a minimum before I can reinstall the pump?
    Last edited by phoenix02; 09-30-2017 at 07:49 PM.

I don't know enough to post this publicly, but here goes. Take it with a big shaker of salt. Is your engine a 2-stroke?

This is my similar experience. When I started this sport the Summer of 2015, I got my wife's old '88 js440 going and then we bought a near pristine '94 Superjet.

We were riding, having a good ol' time. Not a care in the world...

Eventually the starter failed on the js440, at least that is what I thought. So I bought a new starter and it turned the engine over, sort of.

After a little investigation such as unsuccessfully trying to turn the engine over by hand by driveshaft coupler, then trying a pipe wrench, all with the spark plugs out, and then sticking a cheap Chinese inspection camera into the spark holes, I realized that the rear piston was did not look right.
    It was seized.

And it was not the starter's fault when it couldn't turn over a seized engine.
    Last edited by E350; 09-30-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

PWCToday Newbie

Pulling the jet pump off just to check to see if the pump is stiff is turning out to be a project in and of itself. The pump is siliconed to the hull, so now I'm building a puller just to get the pump off, just to check the bearings in the pump and on the driveshaft. Bummer. At least I found out that the oil in the pump is pretty clean so it looks well maintained. It will be a major diversion if it turns out to be a starter issue after all. I will test the solenoid with both plugs in before I destroy the hull or pump yanking it free.

PWCToday Newbie

I pulled the jet pump off with a puller. Only the water line areas were siliconed. My puller separated it without any drama. See my puller here. The metal on the sides was just to distribute the load a little across the hull surface. 20171007_203810.jpg

PWCToday Newbie

Now I have a question. I didn't know to remove the hose lines inside the engine compartment. So they just pulled out. Shouldn't be any big deal. The prop(?) rotates fine inside the housing and the engine rotates easy enough without the plugs in.

My main question is, reassembling this jet pump with the drive shaft. There is no foam ring back there now. I suppose I HAVE to get one of those seals before contemplating assembling it? (It's still warm tomorrow and I leave town Monday for the rest of the month. Last chance to ride for the season...) If so, what else do I really need provided the starter isn't shot? I will test that first thing in the morning since my battery has arrived.

I notice there is no boot over the driveshaft and flywheel. (The $27 item #272000001) Maybe it's too late since silicone won't even have a chance to set up between breakfast and lunch time. 20171007_210130.jpg20171007_210236.jpg20171007_213055.jpg
    Last edited by phoenix02; 10-07-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Thread Information