Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Rave Valve worn out, Sleeve?

Both of my RAVE valves on my 1997 GTX are worn out. Best effort in measuring between the valve stem and the housing netted me a 0.012" - 0.014" difference. The valve stem and the housing both show signs of wear. Being a car guy and not wanting to fork out $120 each for replacements, has anyone tried to sleeve them with a brass sleeve? Basically like an auto motive valve guide. I would think I could ream a guide to be a couple thousands bigger then the valve, turn it down to allow a couple thousands interference with the housing, heat the housing and press it in. If it did slip, the valve would keep it from going into the engine.

Anyone try this or see a reason it wont work? Maybe too much side load to work? Or should I just spend the money and have it all replaced with new to last the next 20 years?

Bill

Frequent Poster

Re: Rave Valve worn out, Sleeve?

I would just get new ones and be done with it.

PWCToday Regular

Buy raves and the housings and be done with it. while your at it would buy bellows too. You may have a "if it aint broke dont fix it attitude (i sometimes do as well) but if your bellows are worn or the spring is, there is a change it pops off during riding and you melt your caps. There is just another part you have to buy on top of what was already recommended.

P.S the green bellows from SBT seem a bit stiffer than stock. I find turning the red screws in all the way down gets the machine to perform like stock.
    Last edited by Hishman; 09-29-2017 at 08:35 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Took the advise and bought new. hopefully my melt down problems are over.

Thread Information