Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Frequent Poster

1998 1100 won't run in water

Already replaced the fuel pump, went through the carbs and they're spotless. Runs perfect on land, won't rev up in water. Gets to 8-9 mph and 3600 rpm. What am I missing? Some kind of limiter? Seems to be a lot of back pressure on the return line to the tank. Tried riding with gas cap off no affect. Rode with the seat off, no exhaust leaks. I'm at a loss. I know next to nothing about cv carbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 1998 1100 won't run in water

If there is an exhaust heat sensor somewhere, try unplugging it. Your symptoms seem to be what would happen in an over heating situation? Just make sure it not "really" over heating....
    2017 Jet Jam Racing "Region 2" Sport GP Champion

Thanks 2017 sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks
    Reno / Tahoe Watercraft Connection
    Hunt & Sons / VP Racing Fuels
    Garate Enterprises (The Powder Man)
    On the Mark Construction, Reno NV

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEH2O View Post
    If there is an exhaust heat sensor somewhere, try unplugging it. Your symptoms seem to be what would happen in an over heating situation? Just make sure it not "really" over heating....
    DOes anyone know where this might be? I had a similar issue on my superjet and unplugging it worked. I put my hand on the exhaust and head, while riding around with the seat off and it wasn't too hot so I don't think its actually overheating.

What is the condition of the motor? Done a compression test? It takes no power to spin a prop with no water on it in the water is the game changer. You say the carbs are spotless, Did you check to make sure the slides go up if you use either a vacuum cleaner in the port going to the diaphragms or blow compressed air (LIGHTLY) in that port? It is easy to not seat the diaphragms properly when re-assembling and if only 2 slides are rising that would certainly cause low rpm.

"Seems to be a lot of back pressure on the return line to the tank." How would you know this? from pulling the return line off? Otherwise I can't imagine how you would find that? I know mine will have pressure in the tank if it sits in the sun. If I pull the line off without remembering to crack the gas tank cap it hoses the engine and everything else down there for that matter!
    1998 ZXI 1100 Red
    2001 SeaDoo GTS Sold
    1998 ZXI 1100 yellow ...coming soon
    1994 Polaris SL750 $50 I couldn't help myself!

I suffer from JOCD!
    Jet-ski Obsessive compulsive disorder

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by a1cnc View Post
    What is the condition of the motor? Done a compression test? It takes no power to spin a prop with no water on it in the water is the game changer. You say the carbs are spotless, Did you check to make sure the slides go up if you use either a vacuum cleaner in the port going to the diaphragms or blow compressed air (LIGHTLY) in that port? It is easy to not seat the diaphragms properly when re-assembling and if only 2 slides are rising that would certainly cause low rpm.

"Seems to be a lot of back pressure on the return line to the tank." How would you know this? from pulling the return line off? Otherwise I can't imagine how you would find that? I know mine will have pressure in the tank if it sits in the sun. If I pull the line off without remembering to crack the gas tank cap it hoses the engine and everything else down there for that matter!

Yeah I knew it had a lot of pressure because of taking off the return line. It has right around 120 psi in all three holes. Im not sure what you mean by the port going to the diaphraghm?

On the inlet or choke side of the carbs there is a slot. That is where you would blow air into to see if the slides raise. I have had them not work right before due to the diaphragm not seating properly during assembly. You could also take the top of the airbox off and with it running open the throttle a bit, watch to see that all 3 slides open evenly.

Sounds like your compression is ok.
    1998 ZXI 1100 Red
    2001 SeaDoo GTS Sold
    1998 ZXI 1100 yellow ...coming soon
    1994 Polaris SL750 $50 I couldn't help myself!

I suffer from JOCD!
    Jet-ski Obsessive compulsive disorder

Blog Entries

I had a similar problem with my 1100 stx I couldn't track down. I had rebuilt the carbs, replaced the carb tubes (they were cracked), etc, still nothing. After selling it as is with full disclosure, the buyer finally figured out it was an intermittant coil or two in the box that worked sometimes, but lost spark under some conditions. He replaced them and it was good. I had checked them with a spark tester at idle and all showed spark, but after replacing them, everything cleared up and he got full power. Just something to think about.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Ragged Edge Racing's Avatar

Your temp sensor is just underneath your glove box. Follow the 1/4 line from your head pipe to it. Should be 2 wires there that head back to your Ebox. You will have to cut the wires are there is no connector between it. You can just get some waterproof bullet connectors and install them. It does sound like you are in limp mode. Check to make sure there is plenty of water coming out the pisser.

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Edge Racing View Post
    Your temp sensor is just underneath your glove box. Follow the 1/4 line from your head pipe to it. Should be 2 wires there that head back to your Ebox. You will have to cut the wires are there is no connector between it. You can just get some waterproof bullet connectors and install them. It does sound like you are in limp mode. Check to make sure there is plenty of water coming out the pisser.
    Plenty of water coming out of the pisser. I opened the ebox and just unplugged the temp sensor. Stayed about the same maybe got slightly worse. Im going to run it with the air cover off and watch the slides work.

I had a Kawasaki 1100 about 7 years ago. Has similar issues. I sold it non running. It was the only ski ive ever owned, that I felt truly "beat" me. Hoping this isn't whats happening again.

Is there a way to test the coil/s without just throwing new ones at it? I don't have any replacements and don't want to start throwing parts at the ski. I feel like I already did that with the fuel pump. 120$ for something I feel should have just had a 20$ oem gasket kit, to rebuild it.

Blog Entries

I don't know of a way to test the spark reliably as it worked at idle, but broke down under throttle. I'm sure there are probably tests you can do with a multimeter, but I don't know them. Ideally, you could "rent" an 1100 ebox from someone for a week or so and then return it but aside from that, I don't know. I had done the same things you did though, bypass the water temp sensor, thought maybe it had a low oil/fuel limp mode so I bypassed those also, even checked my crank indexing to see if it had shifted. In the end, it was electrical.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information