Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

99 SeaDoo XPL Oxidation Removing

Hi friends , I am starting to work on removing the oxidation from the black gel coat . A cheap way I have found is using Comet Cleanser and Heavy Duty Scour Pads much like 3M Scotch Brite Pads . Then buff with buffing compound to high shine . So far it is looking very good compared to what it used to look like . Oh , I used to be a professional paint and body man .
    Anyone else who can add to this post with information , please add comments . Thanks , Rick
    Last edited by jetRick; 09-26-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Re: 99 SeaDoo XPL Oxidation Removing

Diddo being in the autobody industry, you pretty much nailed it. I used the ultra cut compound for a few skis. Works great for lighter colors. With black I would gradually work into a standard cut compound to help eliminate swirls. But damn gel coat is hard. I've had to buff 42' boats before. But if you keep it covered when not in use and waxed. It'll stay shinny for a few more years. As a matter of fact. It's been about 6 yrs since I did my buddy's sea doo and it looks like I just repainted it.

PWCToday Newbie

OK , here are some pictures of before and after with the oxidation on my ski . The blue reflection is because of reflected light . The jetski is black and yellow . The only problem is that the cheap scrub pads I got from Dollar General had some coarser grit particles and left some scratches that are visible if you look closely . 008.jpg009.jpg
    Last edited by jetRick; 09-27-2017 at 04:19 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Ok again , it wasn't the Dollar General scrub pads that lest any fine scratches in the gelcoat . The scratches was caused from hull repairs that were made before I ended up with the ski . Comet Cleanser and cheap scour pads worked great for me after a moderate buff job . Case Closed on this post .
    Last edited by jetRick; 09-27-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more info

Thread Information