Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

750, lost spark.

OK, so my ski got partially sunk/ingested water yesterday in 6-10ft surf. couldnt get it tarted on the beach, nose planted, upside, pumped out etc. Spark was weak. Let a friend ride it & he said he wiped out & it didnt restart. so then the surf took it.
    Towed it back 1 mille though inlet, lost the rider(rear weight) & then had to backtrack to get him. Likly took on more water here as bilge was working. (you pull an un weighted X2 more than 2mph, the nose gets burried.)

It's still a bit milky inside, we've done everything possible to help evacuate the water short of pulling the motor. Anyhow, the spark looked a bit weak on the beach & at home last night. After firing/pumping through 2 batteries trying to get it to fire (& repeatedly changing/cleaning plugs, etc) the weak spark is 'No Spark' as of this morning. Ive inspected/ rebuilt the lanyard s/s switch(not the issue at all).

*** I have a complete spare e-box & stator. the 750 coil only has 2 input wires. The black & orange & 3 bolts securing it to the box. I basically plugged the spare box's coil into the current box wires & tested new coils leads for spark. still none!
    had to then go to work.

- Do those 3 coil bolts act as ground(meaning I need to ground that spare box out?)

- Does anyone know the test outputs on the CDI, etc?
    trying to chase this back as fast as possible w/o having to swap the actual stator(PITA). I want to get the milky(saltwater) sludge out ASAP. I'll likely rewire the complete spare ebox tonight (X2 swap, 5 wires) to test that before pulling tank/stator etc.

thx in advance.
    PS- Yesterday was a crap day. Beached my friends VXR with 6-10' surf(not so easy to re-enter the water when it's non-stop) because my brother almost drowned after he got taken out on my XLT, lost the seat, bucket, barreled it etc & I had to drag him to the beach.
    Pull up 2 couches, then see my friend on my X2 dead in the water about to catch the rollers. No help from the idiot riding next to him to pull him further out to flat water, he looses my X2 in the surf & both get washed ashore.

VXR, XLT, friend, bro n me are all back to normal, kinda. My X2, she's in intensive care needing life support.
    96 Waveraider 1100(sold)
    96 WaveBlaster 2 (sold)
    88 X2 750
    93 X2 650 (sold)
    04 GP 800R
    03 XLT 1200
    Jones Inlet, LI

Blog Entries

Re: 750, lost spark.

I guess everyone left here for the FB forums ��

I've inspected/rebuilt(dry) lanyard switch.
    I swapped a spare Coil and Cdi tonight. Still no spark.
    Inspection port on Stator looks bone dry.
    Cranks great, zero spark.
    Guess I start pulling parts for Stator tmrw.
    It's been cranked and shop vac'd & heavily fogged.
    96 Waveraider 1100(sold)
    96 WaveBlaster 2 (sold)
    88 X2 750
    93 X2 650 (sold)
    04 GP 800R
    03 XLT 1200
    Jones Inlet, LI

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMagic View Post
    I guess everyone left here for the FB forums ��
    It really sounds like you know what you are doing and don't need much help.

You can try the stator resistance tests and if it fails those then you know you need to pull the flywheel. If it passes then try the stator cranking voltage tests and see what you get from those -- if they fail then you know you'll need to look at the stator.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440
    1989 650sx
    1991 X2
    1992 750sx
    1995 900zxi (qty 2)
    1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Yeah I think everyone went to fb.
    Did you check your electrical connections, grounds everywhere for corrosion?
    Did you change spark plugs?
    Did you cut back plug wires?
    You sound like you know what you're doing, but sometimes it helps to have someone question the basics too.

I been battling my own spark problems. I have two bits of info. 1. this stuff is getting old. Wires and insulation may be cracked. Look at the pick-up and any tight bends the wires may take. 2.I just put on a $25 Tigershark Stator on my Kaw 750 and it fired great on the trailer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linkman View Post
    It really sounds like you know what you are doing and don't need much help.
    I know some, but dont pretend to know it all.
    The 2 questions I posted still go unanswered.
    I grounded the coil mounting holes with the same result.

I had the output test #'s saved on my phone at one point, they are no longer there. Some people seem to have this memorized. Doesnt hurt to ask right?

FYI- you dont have to pull a 750 FW to change the stator, it's on the cover
    Last edited by RaiderMagic; 09-27-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    96 Waveraider 1100(sold)
    96 WaveBlaster 2 (sold)
    88 X2 750
    93 X2 650 (sold)
    04 GP 800R
    03 XLT 1200
    Jones Inlet, LI

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrider View Post
    Yeah I think everyone went to fb.
    Did you check your electrical connections, grounds everywhere for corrosion?
    Did you change spark plugs?
    Did you cut back plug wires?
    You sound like you know what you're doing, but sometimes it helps to have someone question the basics too.
    I think so as well. problem is none of the info gets archived like the forums. Im in multiple groups an Admin on another.
    Checked all connections. Swap harness connections, e box ground, rebuilt lanyard switch, etc. It cranks like there is no tomorrow. It just went from weak spark(after beaching) to no spark next morning. (friend riding it in the surf couldnt get it restarted after wiping out)
    I have a feeling the stator was on it's way out for a bit.

wires were cut back in spring & I'm using MSD crimps/boots. Pretty solid connection.

I changed the plugs about 10x now. clean, change, repeat.

Thank you. I just didnt want to overlook an obvious test, etc before pulling the tank, stator, etc.
    This will give me a chance to change a gasket & pipe coupler that were on the To Do list.
    I just dont want it sitting too long with the salt mix inside. I fogged it but , you know. This motor ran like a raped ape & I dont want to loose a crank to rust ,etc.
    96 Waveraider 1100(sold)
    96 WaveBlaster 2 (sold)
    88 X2 750
    93 X2 650 (sold)
    04 GP 800R
    03 XLT 1200
    Jones Inlet, LI

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by upstand2 View Post
    I been battling my own spark problems. I have two bits of info. 1. this stuff is getting old. Wires and insulation may be cracked. Look at the pick-up and any tight bends the wires may take. 2.I just put on a $25 Tigershark Stator on my Kaw 750 and it fired great on the trailer.
    I have a spare ebox & stator that were said to be good when purchased. I like spares, I try to keep a spare of most anything important. I guess I just dislike down time & parts waiting.

Start stop lanyard switch is dry. I rebuilt in spring but ride salt 3x a week. It still looked great this time. no corrosion on pins or plate. THis time I used a little sealant on the internal rubber boots where they meet the cap base & the cap threads to be extra waterproof.

If the thin black ebox ground isnt grounded, it wont even crank.

I use a sealant on the ebox o-ring & grommets as well. the ebox was dry as a bone.

I also use sealant on the stator cover o-ring when I replaced the FW this spring. Through the inspection port, it looks ultra dry. no rust on FW etc.
    It's coming out after work.

Im a bit OCD on that as I know Salt wreaks havoc. We also ride quite far from the ramp to the ocean on front of a barrier island. Lets just say towing back that far isnt fun.
    However, at the right speed, you can stand up & be towed like your water skiing , too fast & its like a firehose to the face, too slow & your superman'ing all the way back.

Whats this $25 Tigershark stator you speak of? I dont trust aftermarket bendix, starters or electronics.
    Is it OEM?

Anyone known good that rebuilds stators? like Jet Ski Solutions etc?
    96 Waveraider 1100(sold)
    96 WaveBlaster 2 (sold)
    88 X2 750
    93 X2 650 (sold)
    04 GP 800R
    03 XLT 1200
    Jones Inlet, LI

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Considering that just about the only electrical components you haven't swapped out are the stator and the stop switch -- you really should ohm test that stop switch from the connector at the ebox if you haven't done so.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMagic View Post
    Anyone known good that rebuilds stators? like Jet Ski Solutions etc?
    Yes to JSS.
    Last edited by linkman; 09-27-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440
    1989 650sx
    1991 X2
    1992 750sx
    1995 900zxi (qty 2)
    1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Tigershark 640 or 770 are a bolt in. Tigershark (Suzuki) stole a lot of parts from the Kawaski 750 because they fall under the same corporate umbrella. I bought a $70 aftermarket stator, it looks nice, has spark, but won't fire the engine. I have a used Kaw stator that works, until it get's hot. Water test for the TS stator is Fri.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information