• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cliff
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2011

1996 Sea Doo GTi 717cc motor

Hi Harry,

I recently aquired this ski from my friend a month ago (the original owner) and it has been left all original in every aspect all the way down to the grey Tempo fuel lines with the green goo which I cleaned out and changed out the fuel lines to MPI A-1 USCG Low Permeation fuel lines except for a Jettrim seat cover, splash guard and a warrantied fuel tank that I just had installed by a local dealer here in Los Angeles.

The compression sits at 120 psi across both holes (cold engine & valve up) using an inexpensive tester. But got 150/148 on a new top end on my '96 GSX with the same tester. So I'm assuming it seems somewhat accurate.

I want to rebuild the top end to get it back to 150 psi and am wondering if removing the stock air box in place of Tau Ceti's by Blowsion would help somewhat with easier starting and slightly better acceleration. Not trying to build a performance boat. Just thinking about giving it some help where I can.

Also the seals seem to be fine as there isn't any smoke (light or heavy) upon start up. I've already rebuilt the carbs with genuine Mikuni carb kits and genuine 1.2 Mikuni N/S.

So my questions are:

1. Should I just rebuild the top end due to the low compression?
    2. Rebuild the crank while the top end is out anyways due to the age?
    3. Run it until it screams for help?

4. Also what are your turnaround times for just the top end bore & piston kit? I can do all the install work myself. So that's not a problem.

Anything else I should know?

Thank You for your time!
  • Cliff
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2011

Re: 1996 Sea Doo GTi 717cc motor

Full motor rebuild it is...

I don't trust it at 120 psi per hole...

Comment

• Group K
      Tech Guru
      Resident Guru
      • Feb 2002

Re: 1996 Sea Doo GTi 717cc motor

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
      Hi Harry,

I recently aquired this ski from my friend a month ago (the original owner) and it has been left all original in every aspect all the way down to the grey Tempo fuel lines with the green goo which I cleaned out and changed out the fuel lines to MPI A-1 USCG Low Permeation fuel lines except for a Jettrim seat cover, splash guard and a warrantied fuel tank that I just had installed by a local dealer here in Los Angeles.

The compression sits at 120 psi across both holes (cold engine & valve up) using an inexpensive tester. But got 150/148 on a new top end on my '96 GSX with the same tester. So I'm assuming it seems somewhat accurate.

I want to rebuild the top end to get it back to 150 psi and am wondering if removing the stock air box in place of Tau Ceti's by Blowsion would help somewhat with easier starting and slightly better acceleration. Not trying to build a performance boat. Just thinking about giving it some help where I can.

Also the seals seem to be fine as there isn't any smoke (light or heavy) upon start up. I've already rebuilt the carbs with genuine Mikuni carb kits and genuine 1.2 Mikuni N/S.

So my questions are:

1. Should I just rebuild the top end due to the low compression?
      2. Rebuild the crank while the top end is out anyways due to the age?
      3. Run it until it screams for help?

4. Also what are your turnaround times for just the top end bore & piston kit? I can do all the install work myself. So that's not a problem.

Anything else I should know?

Thank You for your time!

Cliff,
      You are correct that the compression sounds low. Sight unseen, it's hard to offer any exact pricing. It's probably best for us to communicate variables, pricing, etc via my business email address [email protected]

Respectfully, Harry Klemm
      Unless otherwise stated, responses to all forum posts are based on my personal experiences working within the PWC industry, and developing high performance PWCs since 1987.

www.groupk.com

Comment

Working...
      X