Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

resident guru

Seat Cover, 99 GSX Limited, How to remove cover from Foam

I've recovered several seats, but it seems on this 99 GSX Limited, the original vinyl is glued to the foam. I know some people leave the old seat cover in place and cover over it, but I'd really prefer to remove it because it's hardened, and not the most comfortable. It seems that with the vinyl and foam being glued, that if I pull the old cover off, it will rip the foam up and look terrible when the new seat cover goes on. Anyone know a good way to remove the seat cover without destroying the foam? Am I missing something here?

Thanks as always

Re: Seat Cover, 99 GSX Limited, How to remove cover from Foam

You can't. you see what you have. I know what you're talking about cause i have been there myself
    2004 Rxp Stock Motor with other light mods
    1996 Xp Resurrected july 2014/SOLD 2016
    1991 Kawi 750cc Big pin Twin Carb Sport Cruiser Custom (Resurrected Feb 2015 completed June 2015)
    2000 XP Saved Spring 2016- Resurrected July 2016 as new
    2002 Seadoo ISLANDIA/Sold
    CANDoo Pro system

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Yes you can, it takes patience. You need a razor knife, one of those narrow ones with the break away tips works good. You grab the vinyl and pull as you swipe the blade behind it, effectively "skinning" it. You dont have to do it as a whole, you can make cuts through the vinyl wherever you need to for more manageable pieces. After its removed, use a palm sander to smooth over the whole thing and blend all the little razor slash marks. I've done a few, it takes some time.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

You can also follow up with 100% Silicone caulk as a glaze over the top. Or go to fabric store and get the thin polyester matting as a topper under the new vinyl. I have done the silicone on holes and then follow up with the matting. For really bad seats you can use Great Stuff and then trim and follow up with the other 2.

Again patience is required for all. Lots of labor.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Thread Information