Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: '99 Yamaha XL1200 Ltd coupler

I have all the exhaust pipes removed and plan to remove the coupler this weekend. Do the engine mounting bolts need to be removed or just loosened to slide the engine forward? There was an incredible amount of oil/grease in the bottom like an oil hose came off... The hoses look intact and the compression in all cylinders was adequate (105 psi). I don't know if they spill oil in it or what... Considering using premix and a blockoff kit.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kcr357's Avatar

You're definition of adequate compression is pretty liberal....
    How many gerbils could a gerbil jammer jam if a gerbil jammer could jam gerbils?

"You build cheater motor's & still get smoked !!!!"
    "Its not your fault. You just don't understand what you're talking about. "

If it were me while the exhaust is off i'd replace all the oil lines and re-prime the system. the hoses get hard and start to leak and eventually slip off. so I'd do them now while your in there already.
    personally I wouldn't delete the oil system as there pretty bullet proof, so long as you do maintenance on it and replace the hoses every few years. the oil pump is a variable ratio pump, at idle its mixing around 200/1 and at wot its about 50/1. so run a lot less chance of fouling plugs on the pump at idle than on premix. and you save on oil theoretically. not to mention you don't have to carry oil with you to do and on water fill up.

go to your local small engine/lawn mower repair shop and get weed eater fuel line for the oil line replacement. If your pulling the carbs to rebuild take one along to fit the line for size. I use wire ties to attach my lines with (some like clamps). I use a wire tie gun to install them as it gets them tighter than you can by hand and it cuts them nice and clean at the same time. you can get them at any electrical supply house or lowe's/home depot.

this ones from lowes $29
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 10-20-2017 at 10:10 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

You're definition of adequate compression is pretty liberal....
    Let me explain what I mean be adequate... Back ~2000, I did a test on this ski (different engine) and it read ~120 PSI each. I've read you need at least 90 PSI to run. The ski ran when I started to take it apart and I bought the ski for $1 so I call this adequate... So, what do you think the life expectancy is for this engine? Once I get it back together, I will either sell if for cheap or ride it a few years... I don't plan to invest more that a couple hundred $ in this...

Thanks everyone for your input...

I would guess it probably has a couple seasons left before it will have to have a top end rebuild. provided its treated well and not thoroughly abused.

PWCToday Newbie

I found the issue with the coupler.... The rubber was broken all the way around.
    GOPR5710a.jpg

I think I also found the reason there was so much oil in the bottom. Looks like an oil return became disconnected. Not sure if I pulled this out while disassembling, but it would explain why I didn't damage a cylinder.
    GOPR5717a.jpg

PWCToday Newbie

The part number on the existing coupler is 66V-U727A-00. There is a used one for sale that says it will fit my ski, but the part number is 67A-R9001-11. Does anyone know if these are equivalent?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dshow View Post
    The part number on the existing coupler is 66V-U727A-00. There is a used one for sale that says it will fit my ski, but the part number is 67A-R9001-11. Does anyone know if these are equivalent?
    You need to be careful as shaft length etc may be different - If you know what year and model his came out of you could compare all the part numbers such as coupler housing - shaft- bearings etc in the Yamaha parts diagram but it is tedious to check each component and make sure part numbers match.

For instance I have a coupler from an 03 GP1300R that has same coupler housing part number as yours but the shaft part number is not the same - To use my housing you would have swap the shaft
    Last edited by don37725; 10-21-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

PWCToday Newbie

How hard is just order the coupler and reuse everything else?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

I don't know if you need a press to remove the shaft- never did one - It looks like all the internal parts such as bearings seals o rings etc are the same in my housing and yours but the shaft is definitely different - worst case if a press is needed maybe a local auto machine shop could press it out and yours in for a few bucks - If you decide to go that route the one I have is from a low hour fresh water ski and is in nice shape - The bearings turn smooth and the rubber looks good.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information