User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1996 Seadoo GSX - Please solve this issue!

Hey guys,

I had my 1996 gsx out on the water and everything was working fine, (4 hours worth of riding)

After a swim, jump back on the seadoo and it wouldnt fire up.. I was thinking it was a dead battery, beacause I was getting 12V low reading.

1.Get to shore, hear the solenoid (tick,tick) - cross over the posts, sparks flying, wouldnt fire.

2. Check starter, hook up to a battery spins like a charm.

3. Free hand turned the crank, so engine wasnt seized.

4. Put the starter back in, brand new battery, get two beeps and hear tick tick.

5. Thinking it has to be the solenoid, I cross the posts, and now nothing, no sparks at all, but still ticks when hitting the start button.

No clue whats going on, !

Thanks

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1996 Seadoo GSX - Please solve this issue!

Change the solenoid

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Sounds like a bad starter or ground cable to me. If crossing the solenoid does not make it spin over then a new solenoid won't either.

PWCToday Newbie

I was gunna say if it was a bad solenoid, crossing the posts should still turn it over but I could be wrong, starter worked when taken out. I will check the ground cable next!

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    Sounds like a bad starter or ground cable to me. If crossing the solenoid does not make it spin over then a new solenoid won't either.
    I've had a solenoid go bad where crossing the posts did nothing but after replacing the solenoid, it worked fine.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Might be a good idea to also check the common Grounding point screw (about 8 terminal ring connectors) in the rear electrical box near the coil for tightness and corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at first you don't succeed...

Then you're NOT Chuck Norris!

PWCToday Regular

A solenoid is simply a relay switch. Apply voltage to the coil and the magnet moves and connects the terminals allowing voltage across. By manually connecting the posts you bypass this relay mechanism effectively removing the solenoid from play. The solenoid is not the issue

If i were you i would buy new ground cable as its probably the actual issue. Easy way to test this is to buy a couple sets of alligator clips with wires in between. Connect them from the battery terminal to the terminal on the starter. The issue is the ground cables can "look" fine but be corroded inside. This effects the contact. While your battery may be spitting out 12volts the cable cant support the high amps required to turn the starter.

I would also buy a new started rebuild kit and solenoid. They are common failure parts and for the sub $50 cost its worth piece of mind knowing your starter isnt going to go out in the middle of the lake
    Last edited by Hishman; 09-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    I also think it sounds like a possible starter failure. Put a meter on the positive cable at the starter, hit the button, is there 12 volts?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Regular

Volts are not important. You can put 12 volts across a tiny 30 gauge wire. The wire is corroded/lose and has too much resistance. The 12volt battery cannot overcome this resistance and therefor cannot generate the require current(amps)
    Last edited by Hishman; 09-22-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Thread Information