Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1994 XP - at a loss

So I'm at a loss as to where to go. It's a 657X that was recently rebuilt. It was running super lean, I pulled the carbs and found one was leaking so I swapped the gasket and that fixed the problem. This was after a complete rebuild of both including n/s. I double checked popoff while I had them out and both were just a hair under 20psi. Put it all back together and went down to the boat ramp and had a hell of a time getting her started today. I finally got it running and it was running okay but rich. After just a few minutes at about 1/2 throttle, the ski just about died. The throttle dropped to just above idle. It was probably around 2200 - 2500rpm. I made the mistake of letting go of the throttle and it died. I could not get it restarted. While trying to get it restarted, I did notice that there's definitely an issue with the wiring for the battery. It acted like the battery was dead, cranking once and then doing nothing. While floating there it decided to crank but I could not get it restarted. I drained the battery completely.

I have no idea what to check now. It'll just crank and crank but won't even sputter like it wants to start. Where should I start?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 1994 XP - at a loss

Start with new plugs.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Hmm, I'd pull the head, it's oring'd so it's free to gander

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Start with new plugs.
    Can do. Anything I should look for when I pull the old ones, which incidentally were brand new when I put the rebuilt motor back in?

I'm going to check the fuel selector valve as well. I had drained the tank while the motor was getting built but who knows if something worked itself free.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Benflynn View Post
    Hmm, I'd pull the head, it's oring'd so it's free to gander
    I thought about that but I'd like to see if there are other options first due to the fact I've got <10 minutes of run time on this rebuild. If it comes down to it though, I will.

Post a close up pic of those plugs when you get them out.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Here are the pics. The guy that rebuilt the motor said to run a 50:1 premix during the break-in which is why I assume they're black. Thinking back on how it ran it's almost like there was a buildup of fuel that all of the sudden just ran out.

Mag side:
    CIMG3467.JPG

PTO side:
    CIMG3470.JPG

I dont see anything alarming with those plugs. Lay them on the head and crank it, verify spark.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Newbie

I get great spark so I decided to take the fuel selector valve off and the inline filter. I swapped the fuel selector for a better clean one that I had and did the same with the inline fuel filter. The fuel filter just about disintegrated in my hand and there was a little bit of crud at the bottom. I completely forgot to check it when I purchased the ski. Of course it fires right up when I get everything back together but that was on the trailer and it's done this to me before.

PWCToday Newbie

I forgot to mention that after I finished up I added a little more gas to the tank and noticed the clamp on the filler tube at the base of the tank was loose as a little gas had leaked out. Would that affect anything in terms of fuel delivery?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information