Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

'97 GSi Computer/Starting Issue

Hello,

I bought my '97 GSi a few months ago, and it worked great, it had only 40ish hours and I was happy. I went back to use it a few weeks later only to find it had over 100 hours when I left it at 50ish hours, just to add I did have the key and the watercraft does have DESS so it requires the special key which I had with me and not with the watercraft. I rode it all labor day weekend, worked fine, pulled it out. I try and start it this past weekend, turns out the battery died, I charged the battery, and now the jet ski has 190ish hours. Once again the jet ski counted hours without the engine running or the key being with it, and I have the only key to it. At that point I shrugged my shoulders and just said whatever until I realized the computer is on when ever the negative and positive and connected to the battery. I don't get any beeps when the key is on the DESS post, nothing. When I look back only a few times did it beep this summer, but it still started and the computer would turn on when the key was inserted. Now the computer is always on and it won't start. My next move is to diagnose it but I'm curious if anybody else has had this problem. I don't know if it could be a bad DESS post, bad MPEM, I don't really know. Thanks!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: '97 GSi Computer/Starting Issue

Your MPEM is bad. Common on the 97 model.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Should I check the fuses at all, or do you think it is shot entirely?

It has an internal short keeping it powered up. Only a matter of time until the diode blows completely and starts blowing fuses.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Alright, well that wasn't the news I wanted to hear because those computers are upwards of $600, but it is what it is. Thank you though for your help.

You dont have to buy that 1 year only mpem. You can buy an inexpensive version and repin a few wires on the connectors to make it work. I have my notes from the last one I did.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Newbie

Do you mind if I could get a copy of your notes? I found that the diode is shot entirely and I was thinking about replacing it or at least trying to, but what you said sounds promising. Sorry about such a late response as well, got busy with some school stuff and didn't have a lot of time to get on the computer.

Some have replaced the diode and made them work before. I have never tried. Ill get you some info.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Thread Information