Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 2002 ultra 150 dies after 10 sec

Check and see if you're running on all three. I believe you are only running on 2 cylinders. Given some throttle it should start and run on any one cylinder with other 2 plug wires unhooked. I'm betting you have one that won't run.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Check and see if you're running on all three. I believe you are only running on 2 cylinders. Given some throttle it should start and run on any one cylinder with other 2 plug wires unhooked. I'm betting you have one that won't run.
    If that's the case, what would be the error?
    I do have sparks on all three plugs.

PWCToday Guru

Pull the carbs apart, if you continue running your gunna do some damage. Go completely through fuel system

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PWCToday Newbie

I pulled them off, but put them back on. They looked very clean.

Here is an update on the issue:

I took the ski out on the water and tested it. I had to be above 3500 rpm the whole time, other wise it would die, but as long as I kept the rpms high it worked.
    I tried it Wot for like 5-10 seconds and when I reached 45mph it didn't accelerate above it.

So, the ski dies at idle and low rpm but works fine above besides a low top speed. What could the problem be?

Could it be the ignition timing? Spark plugs? I do have sparks on all three.

Did you try running one cylinder at a time (on the trailer) as i suggested?

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Did you try running one cylinder at a time (on the trailer) as i suggested?
    Hi!

Yes I tried it. All of them fired up individually and managed to run the motor a few seconds.

My other suspicion is that the Reed valve might be broken.
    When I first assembled the motor I had put the magneto wheel 180 degrees wrong on the crank shaft. This resulted in a huge backfire that would put a 44 magnum to shame. I'm starting to think this explosion could have damaged one of the reeds cause when I look at the plugs, 2 & 3 are dry with a nice brown color, while #1 is black and wet.
    What do you think? Could this be a broken Reed?
    The ski is always hard to start even though it's been running for 5 minutes.

Well, if they will all start and run the engine independently then i believe your ignition system is operating correctly. A large backfire could have very well damaged some reeds. Check the cylinder with the wet plug first. You can pull the carbs and use a small telescopic mirror and flashlight to check them.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Newbie

Well, if they will all start and run the engine independently then i believe your ignition system is operating correctly. A large backfire could have very well damaged some reeds. Check the cylinder with the wet plug first. You can pull the carbs and use a small telescopic mirror and flashlight to check them.
    pulled the intake manifold today, and the reeds were all in flawless condition. The only thing notable was that the gasket on reed of the bad cylinder was loose when i took off the intake, this bacuse i changed that gasket but not the others (they were tightly stuck with some silicone). not sure if this could cause some air leak ....?

If the surfaces are clean the gaskets should seal up fine with no sealants.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Unscrew spark plug boots and ohm them out, should read around 5k. Then trim back the plug wire 1/4" and smear a bit of di-electric grease on the wire end before reinstalling boots.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information